Asking for a shorter summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Asking for a shorter summer

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm

This is related to the days off in summer thread, but I don't want to hijack that discussion.

I'm getting married this summer (July 29) and planning to take a honeymoon immediately after. So, I've got to leave my summer job around July 22. I figure most jobs probably run until August. I cannot reschedule my wedding obviously, so I'm wondering when is the best time in the interview process to bring this up? Thanks.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby eandy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:43 pm

TTH wrote:This is related to the days off in summer thread, but I don't want to hijack that discussion.

I'm getting married this summer (July 29) and planning to take a honeymoon immediately after. So, I've got to leave my summer job around July 22. I figure most jobs probably run until August. I cannot reschedule my wedding obviously, so I'm wondering when is the best time in the interview process to bring this up? Thanks.

Not to be rude, but I am curious. Did you not know you were going to be in law school when you planned your wedding date? How did that happen?

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm

eandy wrote:
TTH wrote:This is related to the days off in summer thread, but I don't want to hijack that discussion.

I'm getting married this summer (July 29) and planning to take a honeymoon immediately after. So, I've got to leave my summer job around July 22. I figure most jobs probably run until August. I cannot reschedule my wedding obviously, so I'm wondering when is the best time in the interview process to bring this up? Thanks.

Not to be rude, but I am curious. Did you not know you were going to be in law school when you planned your wedding date? How did that happen?


My fiancee and I have been together for a while and didn't want a long engagement. We figured the summer after 1L year was better than 2L summer, and as for the actual date, we didn't want to be out of the country on our honeymoon when OCI started, so we set it early enough for me to be back in time, but also with enough time to allow for at least an eight week summer program.

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby dougroberts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

If this is a biglaw position, won't this come off as showing you are not fully committed to your work, as you are taking a personal vacation at the expense of work?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:06 pm

1L summer - no big deal if you need to miss time to get married. Just tell your employer as early as possible and make sure to accommodate them as much as you can and keep on top of your projects.

Ignore the Cassandras. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 pm

may as well take time off while you still can

you'll have plenty of time to sacrifice your marriage for work in the future

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 pm

vamedic03 wrote:1L summer - no big deal if you need to miss time to get married. Just tell your employer as early as possible and make sure to accommodate them as much as you can and keep on top of your projects.

Ignore the Cassandras. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.


So, by early as possible, is this something I should bring up during interviews? My gut says yes, that it would be in bad taste to not let a potential employer know how long I can work. Just want to confirm.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm

TTH wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:1L summer - no big deal if you need to miss time to get married. Just tell your employer as early as possible and make sure to accommodate them as much as you can and keep on top of your projects.

Ignore the Cassandras. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.


So, by early as possible, is this something I should bring up during interviews? My gut says yes, that it would be in bad taste to not let a potential employer know how long I can work. Just want to confirm.


Not during interviews. Tell them about it post offer.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
TTH wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:1L summer - no big deal if you need to miss time to get married. Just tell your employer as early as possible and make sure to accommodate them as much as you can and keep on top of your projects.

Ignore the Cassandras. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.


So, by early as possible, is this something I should bring up during interviews? My gut says yes, that it would be in bad taste to not let a potential employer know how long I can work. Just want to confirm.


Not during interviews. Tell them about it post offer.

This. Let them know in the discussion where you accept an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:54 am

TTH wrote:This is related to the days off in summer thread, but I don't want to hijack that discussion.

I'm getting married this summer (July 29) and planning to take a honeymoon immediately after. So, I've got to leave my summer job around July 22. I figure most jobs probably run until August. I cannot reschedule my wedding obviously, so I'm wondering when is the best time in the interview process to bring this up? Thanks.



This may not even be a problem. If you're doing public interest work this summer, a lot of employers are really flexible about your end date and, provided you work the minimum amount your school requires for public interest funding, you should be OK.

If you plan to work at a firm, it's likely not going to be a problem either. When I summered last year, my firm had a couple of different start dates from which we could choose. The earliest start date -- and the one selected by the majority of summer associates -- would have the 10 week program ending around the same time as you'd need to be done.

In short: don't stress out about it now and you'll probably get to work your entire program + still go on your honeymoon. Enjoy!

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Asking for a shorter summer

Postby missinglink » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am

I have no experience or credibility on this, but it seems to me that taking off early to get married would be something *most* employers would be happy about.

Anyways, Congrats!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.