Is this job for URMs only?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wholigan

Is this job for URMs only?

Postby Wholigan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Hopefully this question doesn't make me sound like too much of a noob. There is a posting on symplicity for a corporate law dept 1L gig. In the first line of the posting it says x company "views diversity and inclusion as necessary to its culture and business success." It doesn't otherwise explicitly call this a diversity internship or anything like that. Is this code for they are only hiring URMs for this SA?

dougroberts

Re: Is this job for URMs only?

Postby dougroberts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:42 pm

No; you need not be a URM to apply. Every company and firm says language to the effect that they support/promote diversity in the workplace. But this particular job does not mean you have to be a URM to at least apply.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Yeah, that's just a way of saying they encourage URMs and other diverse applicants to apply.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:44 pm

SIDENOTE:
Not that it matters, but "SA" is not the appropriate term to use. SA = Summer Associate. Corporations hire Clerks or Interns.
I guess don't use SA in any correspondence with them, use whatever they call the position (clerkship, internship, etc.)

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 pm

dougroberts wrote:SIDENOTE:
Not that it matters, but "SA" is not the appropriate term to use. SA = Summer Associate. Corporations hire Clerks or Interns.
I guess don't use SA in any correspondence with them, use whatever they call the position (clerkship, internship, etc.)

Thanks for the answer, and for pointing that out as well. I'll be sure to use "internship" as that is what they call it.

Return to “Legal Employment”