How Long Before Following Up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PirateCap'n

How Long Before Following Up?

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Quick question........one of my "mass mailings" turned into an interview offer. I gave the guy a time I could meet, which was a bad time for him. He said he would get back to me "shortly." It's only been a week, but when would it be appropriate to "follow up" on the conversation?

Anonymous User

Re: How Long Before Following Up?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Quick question........one of my "mass mailings" turned into an interview offer. I gave the guy a time I could meet, which was a bad time for him. He said he would get back to me "shortly." It's only been a week, but when would it be appropriate to "follow up" on the conversation?

Ug this happened to me with an offer to set up an interview with a state supreme court justice. And the worst part is, the number they called from doesn't allow incoming calls. Sent out a mailing to reassert my interest but haven't heard anything. It sucks, especially considering the fact that it was by far my best callback.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Quick question........one of my "mass mailings" turned into an interview offer. I gave the guy a time I could meet, which was a bad time for him. He said he would get back to me "shortly." It's only been a week, but when would it be appropriate to "follow up" on the conversation?

The best approach is to ask him when he's available and make yourself available at that time. Since you didn't do that, I'd say maybe a week or so and then give him a call to let him know you're available. This time, let him decide when your interview is.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:55 pm

RW65 wrote:

The best approach is to ask him when he's available and make yourself available at that time. Since you didn't do that, I'd say maybe a week or so and then give him a call to let him know you're available. This time, let him decide when your interview is.

I actually DID do that. When he said that my suggested time wouldn't work, I asked when would be best for him and told him that I would be available anytime he wanted. After that, he told me he would get back to me "shortly" (suggesting that he would get back to me when he decided what time would be best for him).

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Any other opinions? I'm thinking I'll check back with him tomorrow (kind of a "hey, just wanted to follow up" thing), but I just hate to be too "pushy" since he said he would get back to me.....

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

A week is a long time. He probably forgot about it. I'd email or call asap.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I forgot to ask, but is this a Solo, a mid-sized firm, a judge, or what?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

RW65 wrote:I forgot to ask, but is this a Solo, a mid-sized firm, a judge, or what?

Pretty much a small firm (about 15 lawyers or so spread over three offices).

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:49 pm

In the future, its better to ask the hiring partner right away when the partner would like you to come in for an interview.

In this instance, I would follow up with the partner after 7 days goes by.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

In the future, its better to ask the hiring partner right away when the partner would like you to come in for an interview.

Yeah. As I mentioned earlier, I actually did ask him when he would like me to come in. After I did that, he just said that he would get back to me "shortly" (and FWIW tomorrow will be 9 days -- figured I'd give him that long since I don't really know how long "shortly" is).

Any suggestions as to what I should say? (I'm thinking something along the lines of "I just wanted to follow up on your interview offer to see if you had decided on a time that would be good for you.....as I noted before, any time that will work for you will be perfectly fine with me").

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:04 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Yeah. As I mentioned earlier, I actually did ask him when he would like me to come in. After I did that, he just said that he would get back to me "shortly" (and FWIW tomorrow will be 9 days -- figured I'd give him that long since I don't really know how long "shortly" is).

Any suggestions as to what I should say? (I'm thinking something along the lines of "I just wanted to follow up on your interview offer to see if you had decided on a time that would be good for you.....as I noted before, any time that will work for you will be perfectly fine with me").

PirateCap'n wrote:
RW65 wrote:

I actually DID do that. When he said that my suggested time wouldn't work, I asked when would be best for him and told him that I would be available anytime he wanted. After that, he told me he would get back to me "shortly" (suggesting that he would get back to me when he decided what time would be best for him).

What people are saying is you shouldn't have thrown a time out there to begin with at all. Should have said whenever he was available you will be. I don't think that is the issue here though. He probably just forgot or lost contact information. Contact him however he had contacted you and say you looked forward to talking with him about the company and position in person and are available whenever he has time.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Unitas wrote:What people are saying is you shouldn't have thrown a time out there to begin with at all. Should have said whenever he was available you will be. I don't think that is the issue here though. He probably just forgot or lost contact information. Contact him however he had contacted you and say you looked forward to talking with him about the company and position in person and are available whenever he has time.

Ahhh.....understood. Yeah. You're probably right. I'm just used to giving somebody a time when they ask for one, so that's what I did. (Plus, I don't want to miss class anymore than I have to since it would require an entire day and our profs knock points off the final grade for absences). Thanks for the advice.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
Unitas wrote:What people are saying is you shouldn't have thrown a time out there to begin with at all. Should have said whenever he was available you will be. I don't think that is the issue here though. He probably just forgot or lost contact information. Contact him however he had contacted you and say you looked forward to talking with him about the company and position in person and are available whenever he has time.

Ahhh.....understood. Yeah. You're probably right. I'm just used to giving somebody a time when they ask for one, so that's what I did. (Plus, I don't want to miss class anymore than I have to since it would require an entire day and our profs knock points off the final grade for absences). Thanks for the advice.

Law school is meaningless without a job afterward, so any points lost on missing class for an interview is well worth the hit in "points." Law school teaches you nothing, having a job will give you a shot at a career. Never EVER miss out on a good employment opportunity to listen to some jack-off that practiced for 6 minutes wax philosophical about the implications of the rule against perpetuities. Its just not worth it.

What I was getting at, and as someone who just recently hired a few law student interns, I can tell you this... My time, which is extremely hard to budget, is way more important than a law student's time, which involves reading cases and attending useless classes. I don't say that to be mean-spirited, nor do I treat the people under me like sub-humans. I'm actually a very friendly boss. But the fact of the matter is that when you're interviewing with a busy lawyer (especially a partner - who is used to associates who literally adjust their life on the fly at that partner's whim), you have to simply say, "when would you like me to come in, the sooner the better.... that day works for you, excellent, it works for me too" (even though you might miss an important survey class on international whale law).

When you respond back quickly with... What day works best for you, you eliminate this problem before it even occurs, because typically the partner (who lives by the ideal that it is always best to fully complete a task when possible, i.e. set up the interview in one e-mail exchange and then forget about it until the interview), will then be able to schedule the interview and move on with the 19 other things on his/her mind. Now you're sorta lost in limbo.

I would e-mail him back today and essentially say something along the lines of.. It was great hearing back from you and I'm very interested in the position. Is there any time in the next week or so that would work for you for an interview.... Whatever day he/she picks, you go.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 am

reasonable_man wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Law school is meaningless without a job afterward, so any points lost on missing class for an interview is well worth the hit in "points." Law school teaches you nothing, having a job will give you a shot at a career. Never EVER miss out on a good employment opportunity to listen to some jack-off that practiced for 6 minutes wax philosophical about the implications of the rule against perpetuities. Its just not worth it.

What I was getting at, and as someone who just recently hired a few law student interns, I can tell you this... My time, which is extremely hard to budget, is way more important than a law student's time, which involves reading cases and attending useless classes. I don't say that to be mean-spirited, nor do I treat the people under me like sub-humans. I'm actually a very friendly boss. But the fact of the matter is that when you're interviewing with a busy lawyer (especially a partner - who is used to associates who literally adjust their life on the fly at that partner's whim), you have to simply say, "when would you like me to come in, the sooner the better.... that day works for you, excellent, it works for me too" (even though you might miss an important survey class on international whale law).

When you respond back quickly with... What day works best for you, you eliminate this problem before it even occurs, because typically the partner (who lives by the ideal that it is always best to fully complete a task when possible, i.e. set up the interview in one e-mail exchange and then forget about it until the interview), will then be able to schedule the interview and move on with the 19 other things on his/her mind. Now you're sorta lost in limbo.

I would e-mail him back today and essentially say something along the lines of.. It was great hearing back from you and I'm very interested in the position. Is there any time in the next week or so that would work for you for an interview.... Whatever day he/she picks, you go.

Thanks for the help. Seems like good advice.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 am

Got back up with the guy. Said he hadn't forgotten me and then gave me a date for an interview. It's all good now...........

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Got back up with the guy. Said he hadn't forgotten me and then gave me a date for an interview. It's all good now...........

Excellent. Good luck on the interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”