PI/Gov't jobs and budget cuts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
homestyle28

PI/Gov't jobs and budget cuts

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 am

So while I'm counting down the months to matriculation this has been on my mind. Are PI/Gov't hopefuls thinking about/ worrying about how their local offices/state offices are going to be affected by future budget cuts as states balance their budgets? My current job occasionally puts me in rooms with state reps/senators and lobbyists who are working on this stuff in Ohio, just one state of many with a multi-billion dollar hole to fill. Do you think it's reasonable to presume that state hiring will lag behind firm hiring in an economic recovery? Has this made folks rethink post LS plans?

Just curious and looking for discussion.

vanwinkle

Re: PI/Gov't jobs and budget cuts

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:58 am

Anyone who misuses the anon feature in this thread will be banned, period. Just putting that out there right now since this is the kind of debate-inspiring thread that leads to needless anonymous sniping. Don't do it, you've been warned bluntly.

That said... I personally think the answer to this varies greatly from state to state. Different PI/gov't jobs are funded through different methods. Most state positions are funded out of the total budget passed by the state legislature, but many local positions may have their funding tied to a particular revenue source. For example, there may be an organization whose main source of funding is local property or income taxes, and thus their budgets are affected directly by shifts in property values or local unemployment rates.

I do know of one PI org has had to make substantial layoffs recently because it had a very specific funding source that dried up. They literally laid off a full third of staff attorneys in some departments. It can be brutal, depending on how they're funded and how the local economy or other factors affect that funding source.

homestyle28

Re: PI/Gov't jobs and budget cuts

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Anyone who misuses the anon feature in this thread will be banned, period.
Good call, I can't imagine a real reason for anonymity on this topic.

Thanks for the other thoughts. I agree that some states/localities are in varying shape. The non-profit I work for is likely losing a major program b/c of state& fed issues (it's a matching grant situation).

It seems the general mood of the country (though this certainly varies by region) is towards smaller gov't/less spending on the kind of positions that employ JDs. I know personally it has made me rethink the PI route and start seriously considering how I'd feel about a firm gig (and if I could get one).

Return to “Legal Employment”