MVP bottom of t10 should I drop out? Around a 2.8.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: MVP bottom of t10 should I drop out? Around a 2.8....

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP-

Did you have any sort of regional connections to the firms you got pre-selects for? Solid WE? I had ~top5% and didn't get any pre-selects.
WE, and I go to a t10. Other than that, nothing. One thing is for sure: grades are not everything. It's the whole entire package. I think I should land something that I like... i am not that worried.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote: WE, and I go to a t10. Other than that, nothing. One thing is for sure: grades are not everything. It's the whole entire package. I think I should land something that I like... i am not that worried.
Without digressing into pejoratives, I felt that the only reason you posted was to hear people encourage you to stay in school. That's fine, it's your life, you obviously can make these decisions better than we can. Good luck and godspeed.

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: WE, and I go to a t10. Other than that, nothing. One thing is for sure: grades are not everything. It's the whole entire package. I think I should land something that I like... i am not that worried.
Without digressing into pejoratives, I felt that the only reason you posted was to hear people encourage you to stay in school. That's fine, it's your life, you obviously can make these decisions better than we can. Good luck and godspeed.

My dear steampunk Wookiee,

In a sense, I think you are correct; in another, though, I think you are perhaps being a bit too hard on OP here. Specifically, I think it's pretty reasonable to ask, "Given my weak first-semester performance, what can I do to go into law given that I really want to be an attorney? And are those options so awful that I should abandon them anyway?"

I'm not an expert any more than the others on this thread, but:

-If you are biglaw-or-bust: yes. Drop. That's "bust", but with less $$$ owed to the school.
-If you want to do public interest: public interest orgs are mostly not grade-obsessed. They want to see real passion for their cause combined with practical experience. Some say this is because they're not "good" enough to attract the high-GPA people. There might be some of that, but I think it's also because they just don't think that correlates well with performance in their area. Join a clinic or clinic-like program. Go intern somewhere. If at Michigan: talk to OPS and OPIS. In short, I do not think that even very very low grades are a reason for a PI person to drop out at Michigan.

For people with good grades, it can actually be kind of upsetting to realize that even in BigLaw grades don't determine everything. But that's the truth, and as even BigLaw hiring partners acknowledge, neither grades nor school are necessarily good predictors of future performance.

Bonus if you're at Michigan: check out Frank Murphy's GPA. (Before people jump on me: yes, this is meant as a little bit of humorous condolence.)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Dear OP:

There is nothing wrong with wanting to stay, but you do actually have to want to stay, meaning that the experience itself needs to have a lot of intrinsic value to you. I personally believe that it should have intrinsic value in any case, but when you truly are not doing this for the money, and have that confirmed after striking out at OCI or receiving grades that make a strikeout likely, it changes things. Now the job hunting will be on you. Your school may try to help you, but most really are geared to greasing the wheels of OCI. If you are up to the challenge of doing this on your own, it can be done, but getting a rewarding job may require some creativity, luck, and pinch of beating the odds. It's not going to be easy, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Because IBR exists, it's possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:25 am

BUMP since I'm in a similar predicament as OP, but unfortunately just completed 1L. Grades are very erratic and in the A, B and C range.

Zero interest in BigLaw--came to law school to do PI (interested in prosecution and legal aid). Also open to doing small firm work in practice areas like immigration, family law, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP since I'm in a similar predicament as OP, but unfortunately just completed 1L. Grades are very erratic and in the A, B and C range.

Zero interest in BigLaw--came to law school to do PI (interested in prosecution and legal aid). Also open to doing small firm work in practice areas like immigration, family law, etc.
What's your GPA and school?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 am

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BUMP since I'm in a similar predicament as OP, but unfortunately just completed 1L. Grades are very erratic and in the A, B and C range.

This. And how much money do you get?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:05 am

ImNoScar wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

This. And how much money do you get?
Oh and lastly, are you former military or are you URM? Do you have WE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm

A good friend of mine at MVP got multiple Vault 100 offers with a sub 3.0 gpa 1st year. White. Straight from college. No strong connections to speak of. It's doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:02 pm

if you're PI/Gov only around a 3.0 from a great school with great PI/Gov connections, you should be fine. Very few PI orgs and gov agencies care about grades, and if you can get/stay above 3.0, the vast majority of non-BL/clerkship opportunities are still there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:34 pm

GPA below a 3 (not puttin that shit on my resume) currently. This fall I'm taking classes with more generous curves (i.e. clinics, smaller courses) and two with the profs whose 1L classes I did well in.

No military or URM, but have WE related to the practice areas that interest me. Total debt ~75K.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GPA below a 3 (not puttin that shit on my resume) currently. This fall I'm taking classes with more generous curves (i.e. clinics, smaller courses) and two with the profs whose 1L classes I did well in.

No military or URM, but have WE related to the practice areas that interest me. Total debt ~75K.
Wait your total debt for 3 years is 75? Hell if you want PI or small law, stay. That's not bad at all

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:10 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:GPA below a 3 (not puttin that shit on my resume) currently. This fall I'm taking classes with more generous curves (i.e. clinics, smaller courses) and two with the profs whose 1L classes I did well in.

Wait your total debt for 3 years is 75? Hell if you want PI or small law, stay. That's not bad at all
^yeah, because of merit aid and folks helping out with living expenses.

hope i can overcome the shit gpa. :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm

OP if you go to V, I would be happy to help you with exam strategy and taking if you can teach me how to make a tie.

Seriously, this is a real offer. And I'm not pompous or anything, plus I really need to learn how to make a tie in like a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:41 pm

^Too afraid to out myself. :oops:

Also, debt probs more like ~80K to account for yearly raises in tuition. That's what I forgot to factor in when I calculated the ~75K figure.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Don't approximately 50-70% of t10 ppl get biglaw jobs? I thought I saw something about this on LST.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Don't approximately 50-70% of t10 ppl get biglaw jobs? I thought I saw something about this on LST.
It is 2007,

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:Don't approximately 50-70% of t10 ppl get biglaw jobs? I thought I saw something about this on LST.
It is 2007,
66% of Penn Grads end up at firms with 101+ attys...thats 2012.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Dear OP:

There is nothing wrong with wanting to stay, but you do actually have to want to stay, meaning that the experience itself needs to have a lot of intrinsic value to you. I personally believe that it should have intrinsic value in any case, but when you truly are not doing this for the money, and have that confirmed after striking out at OCI or receiving grades that make a strikeout likely, it changes things. Now the job hunting will be on you. Your school may try to help you, but most really are geared to greasing the wheels of OCI. If you are up to the challenge of doing this on your own, it can be done, but getting a rewarding job may require some creativity, luck, and pinch of beating the odds. It's not going to be easy, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Because IBR exists, it's possible.
This.

OP, 75k is not nothing, but it's not the ball and chain that you'd be stuck with the rest of your life. It's not like you're at the bottom of some TTT. But if law isn't for you, cut your losses and move on.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 pm

I wish I went to an MVP...

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:45 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:I wish I went to an MVP...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:48 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
?
I meant it as "I wish I went to an MVP too."

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
?
I meant it as "I wish I went to an MVP too."
I know...all i'm thinking as I read this threat is...MVP Problems. I remember reading a post about an HLS 2L anxious about not being able to get a job after graduation. I mean really? I went to a crappy school + crappy GPA and I have a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:12 am

MoonDreamer,

I'm the Anon with a sub-3.0. How did u swing a J.D. required job with crappy school + crappy GPA? Networking shark? URM? Good looks? lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”