MVP bottom of t10 should I drop out? Around a 2.8.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Gold

Re: MVP bottom of t10 should I drop out? Around a 2.8....

Post by fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm

never mind
Last edited by fatduck on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 pm

glewz wrote:I know what I posted, and there was nothing wrong with what I said.
Since I asked if you were a 0L, and you ignored the question, I'm going to assume you're a 0L and not worth responding to anymore.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Found this over in the UVA 2L thread:
The only info on grade distributions I've been able to find (other than median and top 25%) was from the UVA Law Blog:

Top 10%: 3.65
Top 25%: 3.48
Top 33%: 3.42
Median: 3.3
Bottom 33%: 3.18
Bottom 25%: 3.12
Bottom 10%: 2.95
Not to hijack the thread, but as someone attending UVA next year, is there is a definitive percentile below which one absolutely should drop out? How far up would the OP have to go to dig himself out of "definitely drop out" territory?
Interested in this as well

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm

There isn't a point that everyone should universally drop out of MVP after first semester. It depends overwhelmingly on the individual and what that person wants to do with his/her law degree.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

michigan_man wrote:There isn't a point that everyone should universally drop out of MVP after first semester. It depends overwhelmingly on the individual and what that person wants to do with his/her law degree.
What if BigLaw to be specific?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm

CG614 wrote:Don't listen to these people. Kill it this semester and you will be fine. You can BS a bad first semester as learning curve or something. If you 2.8 it again next semester, then maybe think about what you want to achieve with your degree.
I tend to agree with this, especially if you are only starting your second semester of law school which is what it sounds like. I think the very first sentence of the section I quoted is generally applicable (to those who simply say 'drop-out' when OP isn't necessarily even gunning for BigLaw) even if you don't 'kill' the second semester. Hopefully you will have some improvement though.

If you can't get a legal job out of MVP with a low GPA then all the prestige emphasis about 'T14' on this site is BS. I'm not saying it would be a great job, but I have a hard time imagining that if you stick with law school and eventually pass the bar that you won't have any legal jobs options coming from a T14 regardless of relatively low grades. If your whole goal is BigLaw or something prestigious then obviously the advice may be good. But I didn't hear you say that was the case.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
glewz wrote:I know what I posted, and there was nothing wrong with what I said.
Since I asked if you were a 0L, and you ignored the question, I'm going to assume you're a 0L and not worth responding to anymore.
Didn't see the question.

But yes, you should assume that I am a 0L and am therefore not worth responding to.
Last edited by glewz on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
michigan_man wrote:There isn't a point that everyone should universally drop out of MVP after first semester. It depends overwhelmingly on the individual and what that person wants to do with his/her law degree.
For BIGLAW, there is a point at every school where you should drop out if you didn't hit that mark first semester. This point varies at every school depending on your personal preferences in terms of geographic region and the lowest relative "prestige" of a firm for which you are willing to work. If you are flexible, the necessary first semester GPA is lower than if you are only going to be satisfied with Cravath. When you get to a school, you can talk to your career services and they can give you a better idea about what that GPA would be.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:35 pm

michigan_man wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
For BIGLAW, there is a point at every school where you should drop out if you didn't hit that mark first semester. This point varies at every school depending on your personal preferences in terms of geographic region and the lowest relative "prestige" of a firm for which you are willing to work. If you are flexible, the necessary first semester GPA is lower than if you are only going to be satisfied with Cravath. When you get to a school, you can talk to your career services and they can give you a better idea about what that GPA would be.
Sure, you can talk to career services, but I think it's pretty safe to assume bottom 20% is not getting BigLaw (NLJ 250) in this economy - and THAT's assuming heroic efforts to get a 3.3 next semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 pm

The only info on grade distributions I've been able to find (other than median and top 25%) was from the UVA Law Blog:

Not to hijack the thread, but as someone attending UVA next year, is there is a definitive percentile below which one absolutely should drop out? How far up would the OP have to go to dig himself out of "definitely drop out" territory?
After first semester, somewhere below bottom 10%. After second semester, probably bottom 25%.

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:39 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
michigan_man wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
Sure, you can talk to career services, but I think it's pretty safe to assume bottom 20% is not getting BigLaw (NLJ 250) in this economy - and THAT's assuming heroic efforts to get a 3.3 next semester.
Some big firms take summer associates from the bottom 1/3 of the class at MVP. It all depends on what firms you are looking at. Thus, the advice to check with career services. They know who got offers last year.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

After first semester, somewhere below bottom 10%. After second semester, probably bottom 25%.
What is your criteria for this? Are you seriously saying that 1/4 of UVA law students can't get ANY legal job at all after graduation??

If so, I think I'd be glad that I chose a lower T1 with some scholly money over T14 if I had been given that choice: I really don't think things are even that bleak at my lower T1 (ranked around 40th). I've probably become one of the biggest prestige whores on here, but with threads like this and certain other networking experiences I've had recently I really am starting to think the prestige emphasis of this site seriously distorts how important rankings are.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Not everyone wants to do biglaw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 pm

michigan_man wrote: Some big firms take summer associates from the bottom 1/3 of the class at MVP. It all depends on what firms you are looking at. Thus, the advice to check with career services. They know who got offers last year.
The only way you should ride on being that lucky one is if law school isn't costing you anything or you are otherwise impervious to bad financial decisions.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 pm

michigan_man wrote: Not everyone wants to do biglaw.
Who said anything about biglaw?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Just get with the facts: even if miraculously you pull straight As this semester, your job prospects won't be very good. I'm not saying that getting a legal job will be impossible, but you may have to swallow the hard truth that biglaw won't be in the cards. Maybe a nice job in the government awaits. Your legal future isn't totally screwed, if that's what you're getting out of this. But the likelihood of a good job, or any job after graduation, will be inexorably diminished.

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Last post for me for the night for me.

OP, weigh your options with relation to your future career goals. If you only would be happy in biglaw, you need to think about dropping. But who the hell would only be happy in biglaw? There are other ways to be a lawyer, and bottom 25% at MVP is still a great position to be in when you are looking to get a legal job. There are a lot of public interest employers who don't ask for grades when making 2L summer hiring decisions. The MVP name still gets your foot in the door for those jobs and the grades don't matter. At that point, you just have to perform.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:51 pm

michigan_man wrote:Last post for me for the night for me.

OP, weigh your options with relation to your future career goals. If you only would be happy in biglaw, you need to think about dropping. But who the hell would only be happy in biglaw? There are other ways to be a lawyer, and bottom 25% at MVP is still a great position to be in when you are looking to get a legal job. There are a lot of public interest employers who don't ask for grades when making 2L summer hiring decisions. The MVP name still gets your foot in the door for those jobs and the grades don't matter. At that point, you just have to perform.
Okay, I'm calling alt here.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 pm

soullesswonder wrote:

yea i'm just wondering why someone would use an alt in a forum with anonymous posting :P

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm

fatduck wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

yea i'm just wondering why someone would use an alt in a forum with anonymous posting :P
the mods have ways of dealing with people who abuse the anon function...it's still safer to use an alt

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm

soullesswonder wrote:

Some kind of weird flame going on with the Elmo 'tar who claims to be a 0L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm

if "taking on the max" means you got 0 money from michigan, then yeah you should drop out.

please do realize though that posters care more about proving they are smarter than other posters than actually helping you tho lol

also, career services may have stats, but you should report back after. they will never tell you to drop out.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
fatduck wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

the mods have ways of dealing with people who abuse the anon function...it's still safer to use an alt

But mods could still figure out the IPs

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

But mods could still figure out the IPs
I don't pretend to speak for the mods, but I don't think alts piss them off as much.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 pm

please do realize though that posters care more about proving they are smarter than other posters than actually helping you
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”