MVP bottom of t10 should I drop out? Around a 2.8.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LLB2JD

Silver

Re: MVP bottom of t10 should I drop out? Around a 2.8....

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 pm

This thread is scaring/scared the heck out of me. I'm right in the middle of trying to deal with the high probability, and coming to terms with attending a MVP at sticker. Lord of mercy

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 pm

LLB2JD wrote:This thread is scaring/scared the heck out of me. I'm right in the middle of trying to deal with the high probability, and coming to terms with attending a MVP at sticker. Lord of mercy
90% of 1Ls do not end up in the bottom ten percent of their class - true story. In all likelihood, this is not your future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:This thread is scaring/scared the heck out of me. I'm right in the middle of trying to deal with the high probability, and coming to terms with attending a MVP at sticker. Lord of mercy
90% of 1Ls do not end up in the bottom ten percent of their class - true story. In all likelihood, this is not your future.
but it is a possibility? Isn't it?

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
but it is a possibility? Isn't it?
Unfortunately, yes - but just as some posters here (rightfully) throw cold water on people who think they're going to make top ten percent 1L year and transfer up, we should be reassuring those who fear being in the bottom ten percent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 pm

accidental anonymous post

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 pm

to be honest with you guys, if you are considering coming to the T14 at sticker... or any law school at sticker and you are genuinely worried about being in the bottom 10%, there probably is a good chance you'll be the bottom 10% and maybe you should reconsider.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:to be honest with you guys, if you are considering coming to the T14 at sticker... or any law school at sticker and you are genuinely worried about being in the bottom 10%, there probably is a good chance you'll be the bottom 10% and maybe you should reconsider.
O RLY? So better to just be blissfully unaware and/or overconfident?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

I just feel as if those who genuinely fear being in the bottom 10% would generally have a substantially higher chance at being in the bottom 10% than one who genuinely feels they will be above median.

Could be a combination of different factors from personal issues to probably the most common in my mind, a lack of confidence in their own work ethic.

mar12

New

Post by mar12 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 pm

If it really is your dream to be a lawyer, I would stay in. You will find a job. Big-law isn't going to be an option, but so what. I would rather graduate in bottom 25% of T14 than middle of a T4 school.

If you stay, you need to figure this thing out and do better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:I just feel as if those who genuinely fear being in the bottom 10% would generally have a substantially higher chance at being in the bottom 10% than one who genuinely feels they will be above median.

Could be a combination of different factors from personal issues to probably the most common in my mind, a lack of confidence in their own work ethic.
How could a 0L have a legitimate fear of being in the bottom 10% (or be realistically assured of top 10%)? Law school is an entirely different beast from undergrad and it just doesn't seem realistic to have an idea of where you'll end up, regardless of fears. All you can do is look at the stats and realize you have a 90% chance of not being bottom 10% or a 90% of not being top 10%.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 am

LLB2JD wrote:Quick question? What was your LSAT and UGPA? I am asking because I am curious as to the validity of "LSAT is a strong indicator of 1L performance" thing.

I hope you're able to make the best decision for you.
There is none. I should have been rejected at my school based on my LSAT/GPA yet I'm nowhere near being even below median.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 am

Lord have mercy.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 am

What makes this issue a hard call, IMO, is the fact that OP apparently isn't committed to Biglaw. He merely wants a legal job. I have to believe that, even ITE, being rock bottom your first semester at MPVB doesn't conclusively preclude a person from attaining that much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 am

dresden doll wrote:What makes this issue a hard call, IMO, is the fact that OP apparently isn't committed to Biglaw. He merely wants a legal job. I have to believe that, even ITE, being rock bottom your first semester at MPVB doesn't conclusively preclude a person from attaining that much.
what do you mean?

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:51 am

I'm applying to law school this year, so take what I say with a grain of salt:

What GPA do you think you can get this semester and every semester after?

For instance if you have a 3.4 every semester from now on you will end with a 3.3.

You dont need to be a straight A student to improve your GPA, and bring your ranking up. I would say stay one more semester, and then decide. Although I don't know how much debt you have.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:54 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:I'm applying to law school this year, so take what I say with a grain of salt:

For instance if you have a 3.4 every semester from now on you will end with a 3.3.

You dont need to be a straight A student to improve your GPA, and bring your ranking up. I would say stay one more semester, and then decide. Although I don't know how much debt you have.

No. No. The line to employment starts way before graduation.

TINTCR.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:56 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:I'm applying to law school this year, so take what I say with a grain of salt:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Geat27

New

Post by Geat27 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks for posting here. Some thoughts.

Your financial situation is highly relevant to the decision you must make.

15% of UM students will graduate without educational debt. If you are in this category, I recommend sticking with it if you like law school.

If you will graduate with full debt, I would think harder about dropping out... not because your chances of eventually making a legal career are poor (I don't think they are, although it may take time and effort post-graduation), but because of the risk of being stuck with lots of non-dischargeable debt and unable to earn enough to pay it down. If you do go to UM, consider your chances of landing any government/public-interest job and taking advantage of UM's generous loan repayment assistance program.

In any case, try to think of the long term as you make your decision... try to think beyond your first job.

Your first semester grades are not indicative of your future grades, necessarily. Think about how you studied first semester, whether you were distracted or hampered in some way, and why you earned the grades you did.

If you do stay, work hard but not too hard... make sure to have fun, and try to pursue the things that really interest you.

If you do meet with the Dean of Student Affairs tomorrow, ask him there is any way you can be given more time to decide. Perhaps you can frame it such that it seems to him that if you have more time, it will increase the chances that you will stay.

Ask if an (emergency?) leave of absence can be arranged. This might buy you more time to make your decision.

Finally, if you do decide to drop out, you deserve respect for your decisiveness and will surely find a better outlet for your talent and intelligence, than the legal profession, clogged as it is with an excess of aspiring lawyers, corrupted by the recent nature of American legislatures (which listen more carefully to lobbyists than to the people), burdened with an excess of pettiness and greed, and too often bereft of imagination.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:What makes this issue a hard call, IMO, is the fact that OP apparently isn't committed to Biglaw. He merely wants a legal job. I have to believe that, even ITE, being rock bottom your first semester at MPVB doesn't conclusively preclude a person from attaining that much.
what do you mean?

I simply mean that OP doesn't seem to be picky. Assuming we can trust what he says about his ambitions - and we're obviously supposed to go off of info he provides - he doesn't need a 160k job in order to be happy. He wants to be a lawyer, have a legal job and get by. Those are not incredibly unattainable goals, even for a bottom 10 percent student at MPBV.

In fact, I can think of several people in my class who didn't do hot - to say the least - but are nonetheless bound for PI jobs that they really wanted in the first place.

TL; DR: Being 10 percent your first semester at MPVB doesn't mean that a legal job of some - any - sort is out of a person's reach, even if Biglaw may be.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 am

Just imagine being bottom 10% at a non t14 school.. Ouch

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 am

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
what do you mean?

I simply mean that OP doesn't seem to be picky. Assuming we can trust what he says about his ambitions - and we're obviously supposed to go off of info he provides - he doesn't need a 160k job in order to be happy. He wants to be a lawyer, have a legal job and get by. Those are not incredibly unattainable goals, even for a bottom 10 percent student at MPBV.

In fact, I can think of several people in my class who didn't do hot - to say the least - but are nonetheless bound for PI jobs that they really wanted in the first place.

TL; DR: Being 10 percent your first semester at MPVB doesn't mean that a legal job of some - any - sort is out of a person's reach, even if Biglaw may be.
What kind of PI jobs?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
what do you mean?

What kind of PI jobs?
i think he meant private investigator

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:24 am

PI = public interest

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:29 am

Geat27 wrote:If you do go to UM, consider your chances of landing any government/public-interest job and taking advantage of UM's generous loan repayment assistance program.
Actually, for Michigan anyway, it is any legal job, not just government or public interest job, so if the OP is in fact a Michigan student then it might be worth it to stay. I know UVA and Penn have additional stipulations and I have no idea if the OP would be able to get a qualifying PI job or not.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:05 am

I was under the impression that PI jobs are some of the most difficult to get

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”