do firms revoke offers for poor 3L grades?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

do firms revoke offers for poor 3L grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 am

my firm is quite selective. my 3L gpa is probably bottom 25%, but overall GPA is still top 25%. anyone have any stories about firms revoking offers for poor 3L grades?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Re: do firms revoke offers for poor 3L grades?

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 am

It happens, but it is rare. In most cases, your grades would have to go into free fall (like going from a 3.6 to a 2.8 ) for them to cause a no-offer on their own. Your summer work product is much more important.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 am

nealric wrote:It happens, but it is rare. In most cases, your grades would have to go into free fall (like going from a 3.6 to a 2.8 ) for them to cause a no-offer on their own. Your summer work product is much more important.

To be honest, going from top 25% to bottom 25% does sound exactly that kind of free fall.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 am

To be honest, going from top 25% to bottom 25% does sound exactly that kind of free fall.

OP said they were still in the top 25% overall. It's not great, but a good summer work product will probably overcome it.

A&O

Postby A&O » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:19 am

nealric wrote:It happens, but it is rare. In most cases, your grades would have to go into free fall (like going from a 3.6 to a 2.8 ) for them to cause a no-offer on their own. Your summer work product is much more important.

He's asking about 3L grades and their influence on an already received permanent offer, not 2L grades.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 am

It's only 1/2 way through OP's 3L year, and I'm sure the firm only wants to see the final transcript. If he gets bottom-25% again in the spring, then there may be a need to worry, but that would mean that his class rank would fall well below top-25%. Right now, just concentrate on your spring classes, get median or higher, and you'll be fine.

A&O

Postby A&O » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 am

Sup Kid wrote:It's only 1/2 way through OP's 3L year, and I'm sure the firm only wants to see the final transcript. If he gets bottom-25% again in the spring, then there may be a need to worry, but that would mean that his class rank would fall well below top-25%. Right now, just concentrate on your spring classes, get median or higher, and you'll be fine.

I guess if you want to play it really safe, you can make this arbitrary line.

But really. No one cares.

Return to “Legal Employment”