OK to use memo that is not yet graded as writing sample?(1L)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OK to use memo that is not yet graded as writing sample?(1L)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Title pretty much says it all. Have one other memo that I received an A on, but is only 1600 words. Just turned this one in today, 3000 words. Besides the risk that it may not be quality, any reason i should not or cannot use this as a writing sample for an internship that I am applying to tonight?

(1L)

Re: OK to use memo that is not yet graded as writing sample?(1L)

Postby 730 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:59 pm

No other risk besides the one you stated.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 pm

How many pages is the 1600 word one? The writing sample I am using is 3.5 pages (about 1150 words) and my career advisor said that's long enough. Have other people heard otherwise?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 pm

If the 1600 word one is ~5 pages, that's plenty, and there's no reason not to use it unless you don't like it. If that's the case, and you prefer your new one, go for it. Just make sure you triple-check for spelling, grammar, and citations since you'll be submitting it before receiving any comments from your professor.

Return to “Legal Employment”