Have most PI internships already filled up

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Have most PI internships already filled up

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm a 1L at NYU, and I started sending out job applications, mostly for public interest and government jobs, in early January. In the beginning, I got a few responses, but not even an acknowledgment for anything I've sent out in the past 2 weeks.

I have very good 1st semester grades (though a lot of places don't request transcripts), several years of public interest work experience (though some employers seem to see it as more political than public interest), have 2 legal volunteer experiences and a research assistant job with a professor on my resume already, and I proofread my resume/cover letters extremely carefully and tailor them to each organization.

So I am wondering, does it take most places a while to get to an application once they get it, or does the non-response mean they are full and have stopped bothering to even respond? If it's the latter, why can't they show us the courtesy of taking down their listing or noting that they are done hiring?

I haven't gotten my PILC fair schedule yet, so I am holding out hope there, and on the interviews I have already had.

Should I keep sending out more applications, or is it a waste of time at this point? I'm applying in NY, DC and Philadelphia, if that makes a difference.

worldtraveler

Re: Have most PI internships already filled up

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Last year I didn't hear back from a single place until February 1st. End of January or early February is when a lot of them start looking at applications. No reason to worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:14 pm

That is comforting. When did you send most of your resumes, if you don't mind my asking? Did you often not hear anything until weeks after you applied?

In general, which jobs should we assume it's too late for? Anything prestigious, or just places where the deadlines already passed?

random5483

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 am

A lot of the applications I sent earlier this month resulted in automated email responses telling me that they won't be looking at apps till February, March, or April. Not all my emails were PI positions as I sent applications to a variety of employers (law firms, government, PI, etc). Other than for big law firms and some federal jobs, many of the summer jobs are still in the early interview or pre-interview stages. That is the impression I have gotten so far anyways.

Return to “Legal Employment”