Withdrawal letters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Withdrawal letters?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 am

How important are withdrawal letters? I didn't send any and I didn't have any plans to either. I figured if someone did call I'd tried and set up a time to talk with them about future employment even though my 1L summer is filled. I only applied to around 30 places, though I am unsure of how many I am waiting for replies from. Probably close to 20 I haven't heard from. The problem comes down to the fact I didn't keep the information around to send them another letter saying to withdrawal me. I wrote more applications then I sent. I also don't know which places responded with some positions were filled, requested grades, or weren't hiring 1Ls. The applications were sent out in middle of Dec., so I figure it I was going to hear back from them it would've already happened.

For people that apply to a hundred jobs do they usually send withdrawal letters to each?

Lots of Art III judges and a few firms.

Sup Kid

Re: Withdrawal letters?

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:01 am

I think the only time you need to let an employer know that you're no longer interested is during fall recruitment, if you accept an offer somewhere you need to let any other firms that you either got offers from or where you had callbacks at (and haven't yet heard yes/no) that you are no longer interested. For 1L internships you only need to send a letter of this sort if you actually interviewed and haven't yet heard, so they won't consider you anymore, and presumably if you interviewed somewhere you have the contact information...

Edit: If you do need to send something, use email. It's faster and easier than a regular letter. I would say don't call, unless you really got to know the employer well -- otherwise, it'd just be a very awkward conversation (similar to you receiving a call just to say they're not hiring you).

Return to “Legal Employment”