Law Firm Market Demand Rise

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stonewall

Re: Law Firm Market Demand Rise

Postby Stonewall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Interesting data points, but +3 is something, good to hear some positive news after so much doom and gloom

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes, the report says that associate hiring is neutral with basically replacing spots vacated by people retiring, laid-off or other reasons. That is an improvement over a negative level of hiring.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:03 pm

But will this actually translate into increased hiring right away? Or are firms going to be more cautionary still, and watch OCIs meander around for a couple more years.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:But will this actually translate into increased hiring right away? Or are firms going to be more cautionary still, and watch OCIs meander around for a couple more years.

recovery takes time, there won't be a flush of openings but a gradual influx of growth over the next couple of years. OCI should follow this uptick, but who knows

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm

It has to make you wonder, assuming this growth continues, what will become of highly qualified applicants who got boned in the last few classes (a.k.a. people who did SAs but weren't offered, the mass of deferred associates, high ranked strike-outs, etc.). Will they be absorbed alongside the fresher faces or are they (as I heard them called) "The Lost Generation?"

Not trying to be pessimistic (and I'm not even interested in pursuing BigLaw, anyway) but I'm genuinely curious.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Biglaw seems to like SA programs because it gives them some chance to evaluate those they bring in. I don't see why they have any incentive to chance this, especially given that those of the "lost generation" still have basically no experience and now have been out of law school for two years or so. Even considering changing the model offers little benefit to them.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Biglaw seems to like SA programs because it gives them some chance to evaluate those they bring in. I don't see why they have any incentive to chance this, especially given that those of the "lost generation" still have basically no experience and now have been out of law school for two years or so. Even considering changing the model offers little benefit to them.

3L OCI? *hopeful puppy-dog eyes*

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:57 pm

A'nold wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Biglaw seems to like SA programs because it gives them some chance to evaluate those they bring in. I don't see why they have any incentive to chance this, especially given that those of the "lost generation" still have basically no experience and now have been out of law school for two years or so. Even considering changing the model offers little benefit to them.

Weren't you a PI dood?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:57 pm

Good to see a positive trend associated with the phrase "Law Firm."

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Good to see a positive trend associated with the phrase "Law Firm."

Yea but law school has always been a bad choice for most law students. Even in the boom times.

The people who stand to gain are people in the top third of T1's, and people below median at lower t14.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Good to see a positive trend associated with the phrase "Law Firm."

Yea but law school has always been a bad choice for most law students. Even in the boom times.

The people who stand to gain are people in the top third of T1's, and people below median at lower t14.

The benefit should run all the way down the chain, take the pressure of PI jobs, etc. just less so than in the area you mentioned.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Weren't you a PI dood?

Yeah but (and I know this sounds freaking weird) I would like to have a backup plan to a "sure job" with my high grades and rank in case the PI market is still so barren.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:16 pm

A'nold wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Weren't you a PI dood?

Yeah but (and I know this sounds freaking weird) I would like to have a backup plan to a "sure job" with my high grades and rank in case the PI market is still so barren.

People at my school talk about this but I don't understand it. Don't PI hire after graduation pretty much no matter what? You'd have to accept a firm offer before that.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
People at my school talk about this but I don't understand it. Don't PI hire after graduation pretty much no matter what? You'd have to accept a firm offer before that.

+1

What gives PI junkies?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

What gives PI junkies?

I think it's why so many people who come to school looking to do PI end up doing big law anyway.

For some PI routes though, Biglaw for three years -> PI is actually the credited career route.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

What gives PI junkies?

I think it's why so many people who come to school looking to do PI end up doing big law anyway.

For some PI routes though, Biglaw for three years -> PI is actually the credited career route.

Yeah that's true. But I'm actually the opposite. The more time I spend in law school the more I've begun to shift my interest from firm to PI. I'll admit some of it isn't for altruistic reasons (getting all my loans paid off for me via LRAP is a huge motivating factor) but some of us do end up making the opposite choice.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

What gives PI junkies?

Yeah that's true. But I'm actually the opposite. The more time I spend in law school the more I've begun to shift my interest from firm to PI. I'll admit some of it isn't for altruistic reasons (getting all my loans paid off for me via LRAP is a huge motivating factor) but some of us do end up making the opposite choice.

If by PI you mean Fed Gov, I'm with you 100%. Fed Gov seems like TCR.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
What gives PI junkies?

For the record, PI in the legal world means Personal Injury. NOT Public Interest.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Lokomani wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
What gives PI junkies?

For the record, PI in the legal world means Personal Injury. NOT Public Interest.

For the record, PI as used on TLS signifies public interest; shitlaw, shiTTTlaw, shiTTTTlaw, and ambulance chaser law are used to signify Personal Injury.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 am

I do like personal injury, but I could not afford to do it after school due to loans. I would need gov./PI or biglaw. Those are my two options. I've never been keen on biglaw and I've been told that even with my grades the odds of 3L OCI panning out is slim. I'm focusing my attention on prosecution right now with a smattering of business law courses. One biglaw route I would actually enjoy would be bankruptcy but that seems even harder b/c it is a specialty inside of biglaw....

Return to “Legal Employment”