circuit court v. federal district court

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

circuit court v. federal district court

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 am

my deadline for accepting an internship offer from a federal district court judge is getting close. I'm still waiting to hear from a circuit court judge, and the clerk said they will get back to me on the same day as the deadline. So basically I will have to make up my mind before then.

according to what I've heard, it seems more fun to intern at a district court- more hearings, more interaction with the judge etc. Clerking for a circuit judge involves mostly research and writing, alone. But obviously circuit court looks great on the resume.

I am wondering if people would choose federal district court over circuit? Is this insane?

Anonymous User

Re: circuit court v. federal district court

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:01 am

which judge did you like more? work for that one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:which judge did you like more? work for that one.

I didn't even get to see the circuit judge.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:04 am

I know of two people who interned for court of appeals judges. They both said that firms were incredibly impressed with this credential and that it led to increased interest that their grade-equivalent peers did not receive

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:17 am

OP here. I should add another question. I'm also waiting for a small firm. The pay is attractive, and it could be a safety net. I have pretty mediocre GPA, and am extremely worried about OCI.

So, firm? CoA? district court?

The firm does not allow split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:23 am

How the hell did you manage to get a CoA interview with only mediocore grades? Thats very impressive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:How the hell did you manage to get a CoA interview with only mediocore grades? Thats very impressive.

I don't know, it's a mystery to me.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I should add another question. I'm also waiting for a small firm. The pay is attractive, and it could be a safety net. I have pretty mediocre GPA, and am extremely worried about OCI.

Are you a 1L or 2L?

If you want to be a litigator, I say take the district court externship. If you're just interested in biglaw, take the circuit court externship (assuming it gets offered to you).

forget the small firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 am

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any idea of how an internship with a federal magistrate judge compares to an internship with a regular district court judge? Was offered interview with a magistrate judge in a highly sought-after district. Excited because of the location, but I wasn't sure if a magistrate judge internship is looked upon less favorably.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 am

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I should add another question. I'm also waiting for a small firm. The pay is attractive, and it could be a safety net. I have pretty mediocre GPA, and am extremely worried about OCI.

Are you a 1L or 2L?

If you want to be a litigator, I say take the district court externship. If you're just interested in biglaw, take the circuit court externship (assuming it gets offered to you).

forget the small firm.

Thanks. 1L here. Goal = biglaw
So you think a CoA internship would help boost my GPA? (assuming i get it)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

Are you a 1L or 2L?

forget the small firm.

Thanks. 1L here. Goal = biglaw
So you think a CoA internship would help boost my GPA? (assuming i get it)

How would it help you boost your GPA? What it will do is create a unique credential to put onto your resume that few others will have. It was hopefully distract employers from your GPA if it isn't as high as you would like.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 am

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The only thing that matters for a 1L is getting legal work experience over the summer. Your success getting BigLaw will largely be determined by your GPA and external factors that you cannot control. A law firm could care less whether you did an internship with a federal district court judge, a federal magistrate, or a COA. There's no such thing as some magic boost.

A lot of people on here (1L's, 0L's) want to equate a 1L judicial internship/externship with a clerkship. They are not the same and the associated prestige doesn't exist with internships/externships. The best possible experience for your 1L summer is a job that gives you hands on legal experience and, more importantly, gives you something to talk enthusiastically about during OCI and callbacks.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 am

bird in hand better than two in the bush

COA will look more impressive but both experiences will be good.

Does either judge allow split?
Last edited by ggocat on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:29 am

It's rude to keep a judge waiting. You should have accepted when you got the offer, and you should not continue to make him/her wait.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 am

vamedic03 wrote:IT DOESN'T MATTER.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm

have you not heard of that whole "If you get an offer from a federal judge, you must accept" thing?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Rejecting an offer from a judge is considered VERY bad form. Do you want to tarnish your reputation in the legal community and possibly receive sanctions from your school? If that is the case, do whatever you want. My CSO's first piece of 1L job seeking advice was: "do not apply to a judge if you do not think you would accept the offer. Period."

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:38 pm

lawloser22 wrote:have you not heard of that whole "If you get an offer from a federal judge, you must accept" thing?

That's for clerkships, really.

You can reject an offer if you've already accepted another - but obviously that doesn't happen with in-person-at-the-interview offers.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:41 pm

RVP11 wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:have you not heard of that whole "If you get an offer from a federal judge, you must accept" thing?

That's for clerkships, really.

You can reject an offer if you've already accepted another - but obviously that doesn't happen with in-person-at-the-interview offers.

I think there's a big, albeit subtle difference between "I'm sorry, I've already accepted another offer" and "sorry, I decided to accept another offer"

Return to “Legal Employment”