Advantage of passing Patent Bar?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advantage of passing Patent Bar?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I graduated undergrad without an engineering/science degree, but I took a lot of relevant coursework. I just found out that under Category B I might qualify to sit for the Patent Bar. The problem is it sounds like a pain in the butt as I'd have to get ahold of the undergrad course descriptions from way back when, and my school's website doesn't have them all posted. That and they might say not all of my coursework qualifies.

I'm top 10% at MVP (only one semester though). Didn't necessarily see myself being in IP because I didn't think I could do the Patent Bar. Any advantage to going for it, as opposed to just telling prospective employers I had a bunch of undergrad classes in engineering and science?

thwalls

Re: Advantage of passing Patent Bar?

Postby thwalls » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated undergrad without an engineering/science degree, but I took a lot of relevant coursework. I just found out that under Category B I might qualify to sit for the Patent Bar. The problem is it sounds like a pain in the butt as I'd have to get ahold of the undergrad course descriptions from way back when, and my school's website doesn't have them all posted. That and they might say not all of my coursework qualifies.

I'm top 10% at MVP (only one semester though). Didn't necessarily see myself being in IP because I didn't think I could do the Patent Bar. Any advantage to going for it, as opposed to just telling prospective employers I had a bunch of undergrad classes in engineering and science?

Before I reply, I want to assure you that I'm not talking out of my ass - I'm a patent agent at an IP boutique in Philadelphia and I'm attending Temple U PT.

I would say that the patent bar isn't going to give you a huge bump since your credentials aren't strong enough for patent prosecution which requires the patent bar. On the other hand, patent litigation doesn't require it, which is what you may be suited for if you have an interest in patent law. Plus, I think if you have good grades you may not have any trouble.

However, I've heard that some litigation firms like their patent attorneys to have passed the patent bar so maybe that could give you a bump, but it's a huge pain in the ass, and a sizable expense, for a bump.

I think my answer might be kind of extreme, so I apologize for that. If you have any questions about the IP field, please feel free to PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Thank you, that was the answer I preferred. I'm pretty lazy and cheap so I don't want to do it if isn't that useful.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:03 pm

thwalls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated undergrad without an engineering/science degree, but I took a lot of relevant coursework. I just found out that under Category B I might qualify to sit for the Patent Bar. The problem is it sounds like a pain in the butt as I'd have to get ahold of the undergrad course descriptions from way back when, and my school's website doesn't have them all posted. That and they might say not all of my coursework qualifies.

Before I reply, I want to assure you that I'm not talking out of my ass - I'm a patent agent at an IP boutique in Philadelphia and I'm attending Temple U PT.

I would say that the patent bar isn't going to give you a huge bump since your credentials aren't strong enough for patent prosecution which requires the patent bar. On the other hand, patent litigation doesn't require it, which is what you may be suited for if you have an interest in patent law. Plus, I think if you have good grades you may not have any trouble.

However, I've heard that some litigation firms like their patent attorneys to have passed the patent bar so maybe that could give you a bump, but it's a huge pain in the ass, and a sizable expense, for a bump.

I think my answer might be kind of extreme, so I apologize for that. If you have any questions about the IP field, please feel free to PM me.

hmmm...I thought the only requirements for taking the patent bar ( and thus becoming a patent prosecutor) was a degree in the hard sciencees...am I wrong??

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:42 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
thwalls wrote:

hmmm...I thought the only requirements for taking the patent bar ( and thus becoming a patent prosecutor) was a degree in the hard sciencees...am I wrong??

You can sit the patent bar under Category A with a hard sciences degree, but you can also sit if you have enough credits of relevant course work under Category B. But even if you pass the patent bar that doesn't mean you're going to get hired to do patent prosecution since you may not have the technical expertise to perform the work. Unfortunately that's the reason why my firm only hires EEs, MEs, and PhDs for prosecution. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone one with an undergraduate degree in a science to excel in prosecution, but the learning curve can be a lot steeper.

Return to “Legal Employment”