Any Chance at Biglaw for Top of Class at Jersey School?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any Chance at Biglaw for Top of Class at Jersey School?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I am a 1L at one of the NJ law schools. Hopefully that is enough info since there are only three and they are clustered fairly close in the rankings. I have a 4.0. If I can keep those grades or close up, do I have any chance at biglaw? Let's assume I write onto Law Journal and interview well.

UG major was finance. I have no useful connections.

Rule11

Re: Any Chance at Biglaw for Top of Class at Jersey School?

Postby Rule11 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes.

You'd also be in a good position to transfer to either Columbia or NYU (or maybe higher--CN would be nearly assured though, with a 4.0 from, e.g., SHU).

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:03 pm

You also would have an excellent chance at a big NJ firm like Lowenstein Sandler, where you make $140k starting with a much lower CoL than in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Rule11 wrote:Yes.

You'd also be in a good position to transfer to either Columbia or NYU (or maybe higher--CN would be nearly assured though, with a 4.0 from, e.g., SHU).

I suppose this should be a different thread, but since you mentioned transferring, do you know what they look at besides 1st semester grades? I hadn't really given much thought to transferring until I got my grades back in the last couple weeks. I kind of thought I'd pull a 3.5-3.6. Any idea how transfers at CN usually do with OCI? I mean, how do they compare you with your CN peers when you essentially have no class ranking at those schools?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Do you have a chance? Yes. But...

Do you have any scholarship money? Transferring into C or N (and, arguably, an outside shot at H) is definitely a possibility, but if you've got lots of scholarship then Id' be hesitant to transfer. If biglaw is your ultimate goal, repeat your performance this semester. If you're again at the top and without any scholarship, then transfer (employers will see your 1L grades...and with that performance you'll have a great shot and landing a biglaw 2L SA). If your current school throws you a full scholarship, then consider staying (presumably, any scholarship be GPA-dependent...if you don't screw up next year, then you'll carry the scholarship through 3L and graduate with very little debt). I'd imagine that top of the class at Rutgers/SHU has a decent shot at biglaw, especially if you interview well. However, that assumption is definitely not a guarantee by any stretch.

GL, and congrats on the great grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks. I do have scholarship money. My tuition cost is only about $10k/ yr. I could have gone to a T25 school, but I originally didn't think I wanted biglaw, so the cost was a big factor in my choice. I don't know if it's worth it to take an extra $70k in debt to transfer and be uncertain where I'll stand in my class, if I have a good shot at biglaw staying put and keeping my grades up. Also, if I want to transfer, aren't my chances better applying now than waiting until after spring grades?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L at one of the NJ law schools. Hopefully that is enough info since there are only three and they are clustered fairly close in the rankings. I have a 4.0. If I can keep those grades or close up, do I have any chance at biglaw? Let's assume I write onto Law Journal and interview well.

UG major was finance. I have no useful connections.

Using the anonymous function, you don't want to mention your school?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I do have scholarship money. My tuition cost is only about $10k/ yr. I could have gone to a T25 school, but I originally didn't think I wanted biglaw, so the cost was a big factor in my choice. I don't know if it's worth it to take an extra $70k in debt to transfer and be uncertain where I'll stand in my class, if I have a good shot at biglaw staying put and keeping my grades up. Also, if I want to transfer, aren't my chances better applying now than waiting until after spring grades?

OP, I'm in a similar boat to you (though your GPA is higher than mine). For transfers, the only schools that will look at Fall only are Georgetown EA and Chicago ED (and with Chicago, if you get in you are required to go). With the rest of the schools you would need to wait until at least March (if not later).

As for whether or not you can get BigLaw out of your school, it is best to ask 2L's at the top of the class who go to your specific school (basically you have to reveal your school on here or talk to them in person). I got some information from a 2L at my school that was extremely helpful (and is making me lean the way of transferring if I can keep my grades up second semester). You can also feel free to PM me if you go to the South Jersey school :).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I do have scholarship money. My tuition cost is only about $10k/ yr. I could have gone to a T25 school, but I originally didn't think I wanted biglaw, so the cost was a big factor in my choice. I don't know if it's worth it to take an extra $70k in debt to transfer and be uncertain where I'll stand in my class, if I have a good shot at biglaw staying put and keeping my grades up. Also, if I want to transfer, aren't my chances better applying now than waiting until after spring grades?

OP, I'm in a similar boat to you (though your GPA is higher than mine). For transfers, the only schools that will look at Fall only are Georgetown EA and Chicago ED (and with Chicago, if you get in you are required to go). With the rest of the schools you would need to wait until at least March (if not later).

As for whether or not you can get BigLaw out of your school, it is best to ask 2L's at the top of the class who go to your specific school (basically you have to reveal your school on here or talk to them in person). I got some information from a 2L at my school that was extremely helpful (and is making me lean the way of transferring if I can keep my grades up second semester). You can also feel free to PM me if you go to the South Jersey school :).

It is the South Jersey school. Actually, I believe we are acquainted. :D I appreciate the information. As you can see, I am rather ignorant about transferring. I will message you on FB, since I'm not too regular here.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:

It is the South Jersey school. Actually, I believe we are acquainted. :D I appreciate the information. As you can see, I am rather ignorant about transferring. I will message you on FB, since I'm not too regular here.

hmm...south jersey huh....Rutgers I'm assuming???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 pm

OP here: Yes, it's Rutgers. I thought at first some forum creepers might know who I am, but I took my chances, since there's only one school in South Jersey, of course.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Yes, it's Rutgers. I thought at first some forum creepers might know who I am, but I took my chances, since there's only one school in South Jersey, of course.

lol process of elimination...it's a skill you'll use frequently in law :).

Return to “Legal Employment”