Government --> Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
silly101
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Government --> Firm

Postby silly101 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I am currently a 0L. I am considering doing the LRAP program after graduation (govt work). However, I think eventually I would like to work in a firm. I have a few questions

1) What kind of govt work qualifies for LRAP? I am guessing this depends on the law school as well? Do govt agencies count?

2) Should I be looking for firm internships or govt work internships during the summer?

3) Will firms not want to hire me later because I strayed into the govt field?

I am guessing this depends on the type of law I want to do. I have a science background, which I may or may not use

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm

First, this is total abuse of the anonymous function.

Second, firms hire (1) Law Students (2) Clerks (3) Laterals

The chance of you moving from ten years of government work required by most LRAP's to a BigLaw firm is statistically insignificant.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm

1. Every school has a different LRAP with varying differences. Read them.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:First, this is total abuse of the anonymous function.

Second, firms hire (1) Law Students (2) Clerks (3) Laterals

The chance of you moving from ten years of government work required by most LRAP's to a BigLaw firm is statistically insignificant.


Eh depends what region and in what govt. capacity.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Why the hostility to 0Ls here? Geeez

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm

LLB2JD wrote:Why the hostility to 0Ls here? Geeez


Cause we are noobs who think we know everything and need to be disabused of our many stupid notions.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby A'nold » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

bk1 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:Why the hostility to 0Ls here? Geeez


Cause we are noobs who think we know everything and need to be disabused of our many stupid notions.


0L!!!!! *grabs the pitchfork and torch*

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Cupidity wrote:First, this is total abuse of the anonymous function.

Second, firms hire (1) Law Students (2) Clerks (3) Laterals

The chance of you moving from ten years of government work required by most LRAP's to a BigLaw firm is statistically insignificant.


Not totally true, see DOJ, SEC, etc. Then again, getting into a random bigfirm is a lot easier than getting into these agencies.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently a 0L. I am considering doing the LRAP program after graduation (govt work). However, I think eventually I would like to work in a firm. I have a few questions

1) What kind of govt work qualifies for LRAP? I am guessing this depends on the law school as well? Do govt agencies count?

2) Should I be looking for firm internships or govt work internships during the summer?

3) Will firms not want to hire me later because I strayed into the govt field?

I am guessing this depends on the type of law I want to do. I have a science background, which I may or may not use


1). All (don't quote me on that though)
2). Why not? 1L is a great time for gov gigs because you're likely not getting a paid firm position.
3). Depends on the agency, see above post. If you can get into DOJ Honors, SEC etc, it'll put you in a decent position to move later. DOJ antitrust -> bigfirm is possible, but USAID -> bigfirm is a lot less likely.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Government --> Firm

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm

silly101 wrote:I am currently a 0L. I am considering doing the LRAP program after graduation (govt work). However, I think eventually I would like to work in a firm.

This clearly didn't need to be anonymous.

For everybody: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.