Importance of Attending Firm Receptions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Importance of Attending Firm Receptions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 pm

For the entire month of February, there will be dozens of firm receptions at/near school. Career services has told us to make every effort to attend these - that firms take attendance and that their importance can't be understated ITE.

How true have people found this? There's obviously a time tradeoff that may entail getting behind in classes, etc. Is attendance at these events really as helpful as career services claims, or only at the margins? I did this in undergrad and found it to be useful in getting to know the firm better, but didn't see any difference in whether I got interviews/offers.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A&O

Re: Attendance at Firm Receptions

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm

It won't necessarily secure you an offer, but if you can network well, it can be a nice benefit to have going into 2L OCI. I managed to secure many interviews by following up with attorneys in the months following the receptions, as well as attain mentoring relationships with them.

There's obviously a time tradeoff that may entail getting behind in classes, etc.

Really? Are you really saying you can't balance your workload and going for 1 to 2 hours to a firm to sip some wine, eat snacks, and chat with other people?

Anonymous User

Re: Attendance at Firm Receptions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:25 pm

A&O wrote:It won't necessarily secure you an offer, but if you can network well, it can be a nice benefit to have going into 2L OCI. I managed to secure many interviews by following up with attorneys in the months following the receptions, as well as attain mentoring relationships with them.

There's obviously a time tradeoff that may entail getting behind in classes, etc.

Really? Are you really saying you can't balance your workload and going for 1 to 2 hours to a firm to sip some wine, eat snacks, and chat with other people?

Glad to hear that it's potentially useful. I don't mean to say I can't balance the work load - just whether it'd be a worthwhile tradeoff. Each event lasts up to 2 hours and sometimes it's 2 events per day (plus the time to get there), which could add up to as much as 5 hours in one day. I'd also probably do some firm research prior to going in (which takes additional time), and the whole semi-interview setting of the networking event can be psychologically draining. On top of this, it would cause me to miss parts of class (for the lunch receptions).

Anyone else have anecdotal evidence on this? Especially on whether it ever came up in an interview if you *didn't* attend?

Turtledove

Re: Importance of Attending Firm Receptions

Postby Turtledove » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm a 2L who faced a similar dilemma last year. You absolutely don't HAVE to go to a firm reception, they tend to be quite crowded and the people staffing them will likely not be the ones interviewing you/evaluating your candidacy during 2L OCI. As the previous poster said it can be a good way to build connections to sound more convincing in your 2L OCI interviews and it can be hook to show your interest in the process of trying to angle for an unscheduled interview during OCI. Most importantly, PROOFREAD EVERYTHING you send to the firm. Sending a poorly written email to a recruiting coordinator is about the only way (other than making a drunken scene at the firm reception) that you can significantly effect your status in connection with a firm reception.

Really what I'm saying is that you should just go to a few receptions of firms that you most want to interview with next year and don't worry so much about the rest.

Anonymous User

Re: Importance of Attending Firm Receptions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Especially on whether it ever came up in an interview if you *didn't* attend?

A firm I interviewed with at 2L OCI had a reception after they did all their screening interviews. I didn't go. Still received a callback, and eventually an offer.

If I got away with not going with that, you should be fine not going to a couple receptions in the spring (or even going to none at all). But who knows? Some firms might really care about that stuff. I don't know.

Return to “Legal Employment”