How do you all feel about Akin Gump?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A&O

Re: How do you all feel about Akin Gump?

Postby A&O » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 am

True story: I once worked on a death penalty case where the convict's lawyer just walked away from the case and didn't bother to tell him. The lawyer blew several key deadlines that might have prevented him from being executed. That lawyer was not disbarred. Now, consider the the relative severity of someone not coming back for a 2L summer.

Not to rain on your comparison here, but it's a lot harder to get disbarred than to pass C&F. In other words, entry-requirements are high, but once you're in, it takes a lot to get removed.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:52 am

Not to rain on your comparison here, but it's a lot harder to get disbarred than to pass C&F. In other words, entry-requirements are high, but once you're in, it takes a lot to get removed.

True, but things like reneging on an unenforceable commitment are not even asked about on C&F. They are looking for things like undisclosed criminal convictions, not faux paus.

I didn't mean that they would, I meant that your attitude suggests you may one day inspire an amusing headline for the New York Daily News that will entertain tens of people.

What headline would that be? Look, I am loyal to my firm. I work hard and I think it's a good organization. My attitude is merely to suggest that the OP should at least take the GOLDEN opportunity (s)he was handed, and check the place out. The absolute WORST scenario is that (s)he hates the place and decides not to come back. In that case, the worst thing that would happen is that a few people at the firm are upset. It's FAR more important to end up in a good work environment with people you like than it is to end up at a V10 as opposed to a V30 (or V100 for that matter).

I acknowledge that many will not notice a 1L's reneging, but that doesn't mean it will go unnoticed by those that matter. It is always smart to avoid creating situations that could come back to bite you and reflect poorly on your integrity. That's true whether you're a welder or you work in the West Wing.

I'm not saying the OP should take the job with no intention whatsoever of ever working for them. From the title of the thread, it appears the OP is uncertain about the firm. What I am saying is that the OP should at least check the place out.

I personally know a person now in biglaw who reneged on a commitment to come back as a 2L. That person will never get a job at the 1L firm, but they have a good career at the firm they eventually chose.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 am

OP are you aware of the infamous email earlier this year from a partner at to Akin Gump to associates that included:

“Candidly, I’d put every future material violator’s name in a hat, randomly pick out a name, and publicly fire the person on the spot—to demonstrate that time sheet compliance is serious business. And incidentally, it is my understanding that the job market is not so good right now in case you did not know…”

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/akin-gum ... e-keepers/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:I would strongly recommend against the 1L program at Akin Gump. Unless it has changed, they require you to spend your 2L summer with them. This is a really crappy deal for you - your 2L summer is your chance to find the firm you'll work for afterwards. If you have the grades to get the 1L summer program, you have the grades to have some great options for 2L summer. Look at the V10 and ask yourself if you want to forego the opportunity to work at any of those firms just so that you can have a firm job 1L year. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Akin Gump is a good firm (caveat - see above); however, you should fully assess all your options before you lock yourself in for two summers.

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. I do not know yet what my grades will be my OCI, though. Anyway I guess it doesn't matter until after I apply anyway.

I'm confused, are you op? Did you just apply or did you just get an interview for the program?

Either way, OP do you have an interview already for the program or just applying? It just started taking apps from my understanding and doesn't close out until 14th of feb or something. They only have usually taken three people in the program from what I've seen, but did recently expand it to other offices so may increase amount of people. Even so if they took 3, there is probably going to be 200+ qualified applicants from T14 applying to it.

had the interview that day. I blew it anyway so it doesn't matter now I suppose.

are you saying you've already interviewed for Pro Bono Scholars program? what city?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 am

bump. Has anyone heard anything about the Pro Bono Scholars Program? Any Interviews? Which city?

ruski

Postby ruski » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm

i haven't heard anything about this firm, but i know if i told my non-lawyer friends i worked at a place called 'akin gump' they would never let me hear the end of it. im not going to lie, their name was a huge reason i didn't bid them for oci.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 pm

ruski wrote:i haven't heard anything about this firm, but i know if i told my non-lawyer friends i worked at a place called 'akin gump' they would never let me hear the end of it. im not going to lie, their name was a huge reason i didn't bid them for oci.

This does not seem like a great reason not to consider a firm. The firm could be called "TTH Eats Turds, LLC" and I'd still take 160k from them.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 pm

vamedic03 wrote:If you have the grades to get the 1L summer program, you have the grades to have some great options for 2L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:22 pm

I heard back for a second round interview with the NYC office. T-10 school. Unfortunately I already have a CoA internship, so I turned it down.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 am

anyone else get any movement after applying for pro bono scholars?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Interested about movement as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm a finalist for DC. Callback interviews are done; decision comes this week, I believe. 8 people got callbacks for 3 positions in DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”