1L Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kristttina

1L Summer

Postby kristttina » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Which 1L summer internship is regarded as more prestigious ---a clerkship with a judge or clerking for a government agency (EPA, FDA, etc)? I want to go into health law.

paratactical

Re: 1L Summer

Postby paratactical » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:24 pm

kristttina wrote:Which 1L summer internship is regarded as more prestigious ---a clerkship with a judge or clerking for a government agency (EPA, FDA, etc)? I want to go into health law.

If you want serious answers, post in this forum:

viewforum.php?f=23

You might get serious answers here.... or you might get pictures of Darth Vader scooping water out of the ocean.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm

paratactical wrote:
kristttina wrote:Which 1L summer internship is regarded as more prestigious ---a clerkship with a judge or clerking for a government agency (EPA, FDA, etc)? I want to go into health law.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

You might get serious answers here.... or you might get pictures of Darth Vader scooping water out of the ocean.

LOL - thank you, Para. I will move this thread to its appropriate home, kristtina.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Last edited by gdane on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 pm

I don't know this for sure, but I would say clerking for the government agency would be better for your interests.

I clerked for a judge 1L summer and found it essentially worthless.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 pm

paratactical wrote:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

I'll do you one better.

But yeah OP, you should come join us in the 1L jobs/apathy thread.

kristttina

Postby kristttina » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:42 pm

hahaa i love that people stopped responding once the thread was moved!

thanks for moving it, im new to the site.

thanks for the suggestion lbeezy!

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Relative to each other, most 1L internships aren't really considered more or less prestigious and consensus is that for OCI, it's more important to have a job in general (more specifically one that will give you good things to talk about in your interviews). If you're bent on health law, something that is related to that might be advantageous; however, from people I have spoken to, it seems that the best 1L internship (besides a paid one, which I would recommend 100% of the time) is interning with a judge. Out of this you get not only a good reference, but this also might be the only time you have an opportunity to view the chambers from the inside out. Plus, if you end up wanting to clerk after you finish school, most judges prefer people with judicial experience.

But all things considered, it's more important that you get a rewarding/interesting experience.

kristttina

Postby kristttina » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 pm

thanks for the advice!

Return to “Legal Employment”