School Term Clerk vs Summer Associate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

School Term Clerk vs Summer Associate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm

So, I've heard some midlaw/smaller law firms will hire a "clerk" whom they pay hourly and works both in the summer and during the school year. I might be getting a job like this, and I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who has done this and could speak to what it's like. What kind of responsibilities did you have during the summer? during the school year? How were you able to use it to find something else either later in law school or after law school?

Thanks. :)

XxSpyKEx

Re: School Term Clerk vs Summer Associate

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I've heard some midlaw/smaller law firms will hire a "clerk" whom they pay hourly and works both in the summer and during the school year. I might be getting a job like this, and I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who has done this and could speak to what it's like. What kind of responsibilities did you have during the summer? during the school year? How were you able to use it to find something else either later in law school or after law school?

Thanks. :)

This is all going to depend on the firm. Some of these firms will hire you eventually if you stick out at the firm long enough as a clerk. I have a friend who did one of these gigs through 1L and 2L and got a permanent offer from the smaller firm before her 2nd summer. But I also know someone else who clerked at a smaller firm through studying for the bar and the firm never hired her. I would think it would help for OCI purposes if you are currently a 1L, but for both of these friends it didn't. Just make sure it's not just gig at some shitlaw small firm where they are just going to use you for shit non-legal work alone (e.g. filing stuff, retrieving documents, etc) because that's not really helpful, and a lot of smaller firms use "clerks" for that purpose because they pretty much pay something like $10 /hr to the clerk while billing the client around $80 /hr for the work the clerk does.

Anonymous User

Re: School Term Clerk vs Summer Associate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Sounds like you might be looking at something slightly different, but I kind of have a gig like this. I got hired as a summer associate at a midlaw firm (50-60 attorneys), and then when I got an offer at the end of the summer they asked if I would be interested in working part time as a "law clerk" during my 3L year. They pay me the hourly equivalent of my summer salary, and I pretty much do the same sort of stuff as a 1st year associate- writing motions/sections of motions, doing research/writing memos, etc.-but I never have to stay late or come in early, haha.

Return to “Legal Employment”