How to show interest in CL's? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Gold

How to show interest in CL's?

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm currently a 1L, and I have a number of applications out to Gov/PI+Judges some where I think there is potential. I am starting to apply to some smaller/mid-size firms in the area who have not completed their hiring cycle.

Here is my problem, I really want to break into corporate & financial work, or copyright. My UG major was political theory, and while I have some legal work experience, it is all on the civil litigation side, disability claims, worker's compensation, etc. Does anyone have advice for how I can write a persuasive cover letter or (god willing) express interest in these areas should I land an interview? My personal reason is that I have enjoyed contracts and property the most, and that I want exposure to the field to evaluate it during 1L before I make any commitments during 2L/3L, I am concerned this reason isn't good enough.

Suggestions?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: How to show interest in CL's?

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

At big firms, the work is often 50-70% corporate (obviously there are lit only firms and regulatory only firms and the like, but bear with me here). At law school, your work as a 1L is often exactly 0% corporate. As long as you've done research and say you're interested, a desire to do corporate / transactional work - regardless of background - is generally a boon. You'll be lost in a sea of people wanting to do litigation because nobody knows what corporate is.

The party line is that everybody can win on a deal (even if there is hard negotiation) as opposed to the winner/loser mentality of lit, and that the process of structuring and creating business can be satisfying legal work. It may or may not be accurate, but that line will be fed to sell you on corporate work and, in my experience, will be well received if it's your reason for wanting to do corporate work.

I'd advise not to get too negative about lit if you're applying to a firm that does both though, because it's important to be modest about your understanding of the day to day work/life of the various practice areas. It's also important to seem positive and flexible to a degree, though just saying "I WANT A JOB I WILL DO ANYTHING YOU GIVE ME" obviously won't go over well.

TL;DR you don't really need a background to express interest, and because most law students don't even know what it is or why they would want it you'll be in a good spot.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”