Best or Worst Cover Letter Ever for the DA's Office?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Helmholtz

Re: Best or Worst Cover Letter Ever for the DA's Office?

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

OP, don't create the same thread on multiple forums. It's annoying.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I have three interviews to prosecutors offices, and my cover letters for them were just short, courteous, and standard. I think you should go that route. Get rid of words like "rectitude" and ditch the crusader act. Commissioner Gordon isn't asking for applications for the new Batman, this is just an summer gig at the DA's office.

Also, you went from telling us that this is a paid gig, to asking them to donate your salary to charity, to saying that it is an unpaid summer gig. So which is it?

Did you watch The Dark Knight on TNT this weekend too?

gotta love harvey dent!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:I have three interviews to prosecutors offices, and my cover letters for them were just short, courteous, and standard. I think you should go that route. Get rid of words like "rectitude" and ditch the crusader act. Commissioner Gordon isn't asking for applications for the new Batman, this is just an summer gig at the DA's office.

Also, you went from telling us that this is a paid gig, to asking them to donate your salary to charity, to saying that it is an unpaid summer gig. So which is it?

Everybody knows that there isn't an application process. The new Batman is always whichever Robin the Joker hasn't murdered yet.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 am

Definitely over the top. Also show it, don't say it. Instead of saying all the wonderful things that you are, pick a few of them and illustrate it with something from your past work or school experiences. So something to the effect of "At xxxx job I accomplished/supervised/performed/verb of choice yyyyy developing my zzzzz skills" or something to that effect. Or because of my interest in criminal law, I have taken xxx class as an undergrad, or have joined yyyy organization or something like that.

applyingtolawschool

Postby applyingtolawschool » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:22 pm

This is a joke, right?

They don't care if you're going to be working for free or not; they already have a (small) budget allocated for this position, and are just looking to hire the right person. I'd wait til you get the job before you tell them where to send your paychecks--or just take your salary and donate it to your charity of choice, yourself. Besides, I doubt that the DA's office would even be allowed to take taxpayer money and donate it to a private entity.

Return to “Legal Employment”