Work Experience before Law School

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawyerwannabe

Work Experience before Law School

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm

How important is it really to the job hiring process for firms?

I have seen some people say that it is a big plus. I have seen others say that it may be a tie-breaker but grades reign supreme.

Curious as I will not have any substantial work experience after graduating before attending law school.

rman1201

Re: Work Experience before Law School

Postby rman1201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm a 0L, but the answers will probably be:
WE doesn't trump grades. Grades/LR will get you in the door for at least an interview, and work experience will help with the competition for other similarly ranked applicants from peer schools. Of course work experience is weighed more heavily in certain fields (IP).
But overall, the majority of law students will have minimal WE, so it's not a dealbreaker.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Ya. That is the vibe I get.

I am looking more for people who have gone through OCI and have experienced the effects of having/not having work experience (sharing experiences of friends is also just as good).

Did anyone get the sense that after grades, personality and fit were more important than work experience?

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Regardless of OCI benefits, I would advise ANYONE going into law school to work first. Especially if you can work in law. Be absolutely sure it's something you really want to do. (I'm a 1L who worked for two years. You'd be amazed at how much you grow and mature in the two years after college.)

mez06

Postby mez06 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Regardless of OCI benefits, I would advise ANYONE going into law school to work first. Especially if you can work in law. Be absolutely sure it's something you really want to do. (I'm a 1L who worked for two years. You'd be amazed at how much you grow and mature in the two years after college.)

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”