Investment Banking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TraeM2010

Investment Banking

Postby TraeM2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:15 pm

In my research I am finding that many of the large investment banks recruit from top law schools. I have also seen that another good way to get into the investment banking industry is to start in corporate finance and then transition in. I have an accounting background and attend University of South Carolina law. I have a CPA license. If I want to try to transition from law school to investment banking should I try to do it from a corporate tax position or should I try to land a corporate finance job out of law school?

Renzo

Re: Investment Banking

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 pm

I think you have three options:

1. Invent time machine
2. Go back in time, attend an Ivy undergrad, do well
3. Get a job as a banker

-OR-

1. Get an MBA from Harvard, Penn, Northwestern, Chicago, MIT, or Stanford.
2. Become a banker.

-OR-

1. Get a job as an M&A attorney with a very prestigious firm that does a lot of work with the banks.
2. Pray
3. Transition to banking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:33 pm

What about applying to Ibanking analyst positions after a top 14 JD? And doing so after taking transactional focused classes and even corporate finance/accounting at the top 14's top 20 MBA program? I have an econ undergrad degree and when I say Ibanks I'm talking about middle market banks--not bulge (think BBT/Suntrust etc.). Also note that I'm talking coming in at the analyst level and not as an associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about applying to Ibanking analyst positions after a top 14 JD? And doing so after taking transactional focused classes and even corporate finance/accounting at the top 14's top 20 MBA program? I have an econ undergrad degree and when I say Ibanks I'm talking about middle market banks--not bulge (think BBT/Suntrust etc.). Also note that I'm talking coming in at the analyst level and not as an associate.

It's definitely "possible" to get into banking with a JD but you'd be excluded from most any analyst class. You might be able to talk your way into a small boutique firm if you know someone but even in that scenario you'd likely be hired as an associate. Most JD hires have some sort of transferable/relevant experience and depending on that experience, some JD's are even hired as VP's. In the end, it's all about how well you network.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:15 pm

How possible to go:

CCN --> V10 M&A midlevel--> MBA --> IBD --> ??? --> Profit ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about applying to Ibanking analyst positions after a top 14 JD? And doing so after taking transactional focused classes and even corporate finance/accounting at the top 14's top 20 MBA program? I have an econ undergrad degree and when I say Ibanks I'm talking about middle market banks--not bulge (think BBT/Suntrust etc.). Also note that I'm talking coming in at the analyst level and not as an associate.

It's definitely "possible" to get into banking with a JD but you'd be excluded from most any analyst class. You might be able to talk your way into a small boutique firm if you know someone but even in that scenario you'd likely be hired as an associate. Most JD hires have some sort of transferable/relevant experience and depending on that experience, some JD's are even hired as VP's. In the end, it's all about how well you network.

Why would I be excluded from analyst positions but not for associate positions? I'm looking at the analyst level because I don't have full time professional W/E and I realize that my competency level would be more aligned with analyst positions.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why would I be excluded from analyst positions but not for associate positions? I'm looking at the analyst level because I don't have full time professional W/E and I realize that my competency level would be more aligned with analyst positions.

i think he means you're overqualified

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i think he means you're overqualified

I wouldn't be because associate positions require full time work experience.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:20 pm

TraeM2010 wrote:In my research I am finding that many of the large investment banks recruit from top law schools. I have also seen that another good way to get into the investment banking industry is to start in corporate finance and then transition in. I have an accounting background and attend University of South Carolina law. I have a CPA license. If I want to try to transition from law school to investment banking should I try to do it from a corporate tax position or should I try to land a corporate finance job out of law school?

You're better off getting an MBA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Renzo wrote:I think you have three options:

1. Invent time machine
2. Go back in time, attend an Ivy undergrad, do well
3. Get a job as a banker

-OR-

1. Get an MBA from Harvard, Penn, Northwestern, Chicago, MIT, or Stanford.
2. Become a banker.

-OR-

1. Get a job as an M&A attorney with a very prestigious firm that does a lot of work with the banks.
2. Pray
3. Transition to banking.

Is it common for V20 M&A lawyers to go back to get their MBA after a few years practing law in order to make the transition or is it just a direct jump?

Return to “Legal Employment”