Federal Judicial internship question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FB567

Federal Judicial internship question

Postby FB567 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:10 pm

I was offered an internship with a federal judge. I start work the week after my last final. He mentioned that I could work seven weeks if I wanted to. Do interns typically work only half the summer or the whole summer? Should I ask the judge if I can work the whole summer?

Cupidity

Re: Federal Judicial internship question

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm

The judge is being awesome and letting you shop around for paid work for half a summer. Not all do this. He will let you work the full summer, but if you can land something else you can split.

FB567

Postby FB567 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 pm

So should I ask him if it's a possibility to work the whole summer now (before he chooses the interns for the second half)? Or ask him only if I can't find anything else? I doubt I will get paid work for the summer. Which looks better- working with the judge for the whole summer or unpaid work for half the summer?

FB567

Postby FB567 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm a 1L. My career counselor told me that interns typically only work for half the summer and that I shouldn't ask the judge to work the whole summer. Just wanted to see if this is legit advice.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm

FB567 wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention I'm a 1L. My career counselor told me that interns typically only work for half the summer and that I shouldn't ask the judge to work the whole summer. Just wanted to see if this is legit advice.

Haha, what? Did they really tell you that? Some judges may do that, but every single one I talked with all said prefer to work the full summer, and some (actually just two) offered to allow for a split summer with a warning the summer won't be as eventful.

If he said you could work only 7 weeks he was giving you an option, check with him to be sure but it sounds like he was leaving it up to you. What could it hurt to talk with him about it? Make sure and find out when he wants your decision by too. "Probably better to ask whoever your main contact is there, either a clerk or the judge"

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:41 pm

you should absolutely ask to work the whole summer if you want to

you want to make sure that you get at least 2 cases you can talk about in substantive detail at OCI next fall. Hopefully at least one of those cases will not be a habeas petition (those are usually a snooze)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm

When I interned for my federal judge during 1L summer, I worked a full 7 or 8 week summer, 5 days per week; and that wasn't me asking, that was the judge's intern program.

So no, asking for the whole summer would not be out of the ordinary and frankly it would be great to get more experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”