C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:33 pm

So I bombed what is essentially intro to business law first semester but managed to get good marks in my other classes. How bad does a C+ in a core business course look to firms, i.e., NY Biglaw? Doesnt help that my high marks were in Legal Theory classes...Am I looking at slim chances for hireback? 2L btw...

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I bombed what is essentially intro to business law first semester but managed to get good marks in my other classes. How bad does a C+ in a core business course look to firms, i.e., NY Biglaw? Doesnt help that my high marks were in Legal Theory classes...Am I looking at slim chances for hireback? 2L btw...


(1) Does your firm ask for 2L grades?

(2) It's probably unlikely that if you have a good work product and otherwise did fine that the firm will care. They will have spent >$30k on you by the end of the summer.

spock
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby spock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

yeah they require 2L transcripts... i dont have any other marks below a b+ but it doesnt look good to get an A in theory and a C in corporate law which is what im presumably being hired to do. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Depends on the firm. Does you firm historically have 100% or near thereto offer rates?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Similarly... is a no-offer likely to result from a low 3.0 GPA if its all Bs and a B+ (all substantial classes)?

*** assume top school and top firm (100% or close to 100% hiring)

Thanks in advance

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm

bump

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Similarly... is a no-offer likely to result from a low 3.0 GPA if its all Bs and a B+ (all substantial classes)?

*** assume top school and top firm (100% or close to 100% hiring)

Thanks in advance



You're fucked.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similarly... is a no-offer likely to result from a low 3.0 GPA if its all Bs and a B+ (all substantial classes)?

*** assume top school and top firm (100% or close to 100% hiring)

Thanks in advance



You're fucked.

I don't think its that terrible, but you need to bring it back up this semester. So long as you keep your cumulative GPA around where it was (no more than .2 of a point drop, so 3.6 can drop to 3.4 for example), you should be ok.

Edit: You probably also need to be on law review, mock trial, moot court, etc to explain the drop (aka "I was doing other stuff besides classes").

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similarly... is a no-offer likely to result from a low 3.0 GPA if its all Bs and a B+ (all substantial classes)?

*** assume top school and top firm (100% or close to 100% hiring)

Thanks in advance



You're fucked.

I don't think its that terrible, but you need to bring it back up this semester. So long as you keep your cumulative GPA around where it was (no more than .2 of a point drop, so 3.6 can drop to 3.4 for example), you should be ok.

Edit: You probably also need to be on law review, mock trial, moot court, etc to explain the drop (aka "I was doing other stuff besides classes").


I was kidding. My point was that no one can really comment on this except the firm. You're fine/You're fucked from us doesn't mean anything at all.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Sup Kid wrote:I don't think its that terrible, but you need to bring it back up this semester. So long as you keep your cumulative GPA around where it was (no more than .2 of a point drop, so 3.6 can drop to 3.4 for example), you should be ok.

Edit: You probably also need to be on law review, mock trial, moot court, etc to explain the drop (aka "I was doing other stuff besides classes").

1. Presumably he had a lowish gpa at the time of his offer since that happened in the fall and one semester of B's wouldn't drop even a 3.3 to a 3.1.

2. Firms probably view a 3.8 to 3.6 very differently from a 3.2 to 3.0. One is regression to the mean.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:I don't think its that terrible, but you need to bring it back up this semester. So long as you keep your cumulative GPA around where it was (no more than .2 of a point drop, so 3.6 can drop to 3.4 for example), you should be ok.

Edit: You probably also need to be on law review, mock trial, moot court, etc to explain the drop (aka "I was doing other stuff besides classes").

1. Presumably he had a lowish gpa at the time of his offer since that happened in the fall and one semester of B's wouldn't drop even a 3.3 to a 3.1.

2. Firms probably view a 3.8 to 3.6 very differently from a 3.2 to 3.0. One is regression to the mean.

If his cumulative is in the low-3.0, then my original point may not apply. I was under the assumption that this semester his gpa is 3.0ish, and he had a significantly higher gpa after 1L year (thus resulting in a decent cumulative now).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I could be wrong, but I've got the impression that it shouldn't make a difference unless you give them a reason not to hire you this summer.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: C+ in Business Organizations - No Offer?

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I could be wrong, but I've got the impression that it shouldn't make a difference unless you give them a reason not to hire you this summer.

link?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.