Invited to interview for 1L SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Invited to interview for 1L SA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

What is the likelihood of getting an offer? Is the probability a higher/lower than in the 2L interview season? Come to think of it, I don't even know what the 2L likelihood is. Would appreciate the opinions of people who have gone through the process before or are generally knowledgeable.

vamedic03

Re: Invited to interview for 1L SA

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the likelihood of getting an offer? Is the probability a higher/lower than in the 2L interview season? Come to think of it, I don't even know what the 2L likelihood is. Would appreciate the opinions of people who have gone through the process before or are generally knowledgeable.

It depends:

(1) Whether this is a screening interview or a callback?

A screening interview is far less likely to lead to a job.

(2) What firm?

Some firms try to give nearly 100% of their callbacks offers (i.e., they're really selective on who they give callbacks to) while others give only 20-30% of their callbacks offers (i.e., they're far less selective on the screening end and far more selective on the post callback end).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:16 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the likelihood of getting an offer? Is the probability a higher/lower than in the 2L interview season? Come to think of it, I don't even know what the 2L likelihood is. Would appreciate the opinions of people who have gone through the process before or are generally knowledgeable.

It depends:

(2) What firm?

Some firms try to give nearly 100% of their callbacks offers (i.e., they're really selective on who they give callbacks to) while others give only 20-30% of their callbacks offers (i.e., they're far less selective on the screening end and far more selective on the post callback end).

It's a big NYC firm, V10--known as a bit of a sweatshop, I think.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:31 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

This. Try looking up their 2L offer rates.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

It depends:

(2) What firm?

It's a big NYC firm, V10--known as a bit of a sweatshop, I think.

That doesn't narrow it down much. I can think of 7-8 V10 firms that meet that description.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

This. Try looking up their 2L offer rates.

Where would someone find this kind of information?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's a big NYC firm, V10--known as a bit of a sweatshop, I think.

That doesn't narrow it down much. I can think of 7-8 V10 firms that meet that description.

I can think of exactly 8. :|

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Unemployed wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's a big NYC firm, V10--known as a bit of a sweatshop, I think.

I can think of only 7 based on the qualifications of big, NYC, and V10.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Two DC firms in the V10. Eight NYC firms. You don't think Wachtell and W&C are big enough?

Anyway, this isn't helping the OP.

I don't think the following information will help either, but for 2L OCI at my school, S&C and Simpson had extremely high callback to offer ratios. Cravath, Skadden, and Weil were about 50-50. Wachtell, DPW, Covington, and Cleary were between 10-30%. No info on W&C.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Where would one find data on firms' 2L callback/offer ratios?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 pm

This topic is relevant to my interests.

I'm also curious, how common is it for firms to pay less to 1L summers than 2L summers? I've got an interview at a prestigious boutique that pays market to associates. Is it common for a firm like that to pay less to 1L summers? (They aren't listed on NALP)

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Where would one find data on firms' 2L callback/offer ratios?

The career service people at your school should have this info. If not, you should demand that they do. :P

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 pm

OP here. Thanks for all the replies; I know that it's tough because I won't name the firm, but I'm just being (overly) cautious at this point. I took Kohinoor's advice and looked at some other threads for 2L CB/offer ratios for certain schools, so I'll just go on that and bust ass to prepare for the interviews. I'll also check with CS for updated numbers.

I will say that this wasn't through OCI directly; I sent my resume and stuff back on Dec 1. In any event, best of luck to all those interviewing. Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote: In any event, best of luck to all those interviewing. Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later.

Thanks, OP. Best of luck to you too. I have my first interview tomorrow and another next week (both V50). Will report back here.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I can't help but get excited. A few of my classmates have already landed big firm jobs pre-grades, but my applications weren't sent in until after receiving grades last week. I'm non-URM with no special background...the grades were good though.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am

Another question: what's the ballpark range for post-callback response times? How quickly do firms tend to reject a candidate or make an offer?

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Another question: what's the ballpark range for post-callback response times? How quickly do firms tend to reject a candidate or make an offer?

ranges from immediately after your last interview of the day, to a few weeks, maybe even more. most in a few weeks for 2L oci at least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Another question: what's the ballpark range for post-callback response times? How quickly do firms tend to reject a candidate or make an offer?

Probably longer for 1L recruiting since things aren't fever pitch.

Fastest turnarounds: Rejection letter mailed before the interview (yaaaay law school), phone offer day after callback interview

Slowest turnarounds: Rejection letter 4ish months after screening interview from 1L OCI (even apologized for the delay!)

It's hard to discern an average. Unfortunately the best you can do is keep an ear to the ground and see how other people are doing, but that can make you real paranoid real fast. Otherwise I'd say the lion's share of responses came within a week or two, often more like 24-72 hours for good news. And of course, rule of thumb is phone = good news and mail = bad news. Exceptions to both happened last year, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I interviewed with one NYC firm and one firm in Boston last year as a 1L. The NYC firm responded between 7-10 days and the Boston firm (based on my mentioning that I had an exploding offer) was able to give me a response less than 36 hours from my last interview. In talking to friends who got 1L SA offers, they were usually in the 7-10 day range.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I interviewed with one NYC firm and one firm in Boston last year as a 1L. The NYC firm responded between 7-10 days and the Boston firm (based on my mentioning that I had an exploding offer) was able to give me a response less than 36 hours from my last interview. In talking to friends who got 1L SA offers, they were usually in the 7-10 day range.

Thanks. This is very helpful info; it mirrors what I was told yesterday after a BigLOL 1L callback -- they say response within 10 days.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Bump for a question. So for you (and your friends) who received a 7-10 day response, you're saying that these resulted in offers?

It's been five days since my 1L callback and I'm losing hope. Maybe it's premature to be doing so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 am

Did this.

Got dinged, but rejection letter said they would contact me for 2L SA callback. They "hope that I consider them for a position following my second year of law school." (Cue Joe Wilson picture)

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:13 pm

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Two DC firms in the V10. Eight NYC firms. You don't think Wachtell and W&C are big enough?

Anyway, this isn't helping the OP.

Excellent and exclusive? Definitely.

Big? (especially in comparison to something like Skadden?) No.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

I can only think of one: Skadden.

Return to “Legal Employment”