Paid State Supreme Court v. Unpaid Federal District Court Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PirateCap'n

Silver

Paid State Supreme Court v. Unpaid Federal District Court

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Title says it all. I know lots of folks are saying to take the paid gigs this year for 1ls, but any opinions other than that? Which one would look better for future job purposes? I've applied for the state job and am attempting to determine whether I should go ahead and apply to the Federal DC or wait to hear from potential firm offer (which I would prefer to have since they would be paid).

vamedic03

Gold

Re: Paid State Supreme Court v. Unpaid Federal District Court

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:37 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Title says it all. I know lots of folks are saying to take the paid gigs this year for 1ls, but any opinions other than that? Which one would look better for future job purposes? I've applied for the state job and am attempting to determine whether I should go ahead and apply to the Federal DC or wait to hear from potential firm offer (which I would prefer to have since they would be paid).
Don't wait to apply - get your applications out earlier than later. The most important thing is to have a 1L job, not to have your most preferable 1L job.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Title says it all. I know lots of folks are saying to take the paid gigs this year for 1ls, but any opinions other than that? Which one would look better for future job purposes? I've applied for the state job and am attempting to determine whether I should go ahead and apply to the Federal DC or wait to hear from potential firm offer (which I would prefer to have since they would be paid).
Don't wait to apply - get your applications out earlier than later. The most important thing is to have a 1L job, not to have your most preferable 1L job.
Duly noted. I'm only holding off for a day or two just to see if I get any bites from my "mass mailings." If not, I'll send it out later this week. If I did get offered both at the same time (hypothetically of course), which one is better? State Supreme Court or Federal District Court?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:48 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Duly noted. I'm only holding off for a day or two just to see if I get any bites from my "mass mailings." If not, I'll send it out later this week. If I did get offered both at the same time (hypothetically of course), which one is better? State Supreme Court or Federal District Court?
Depends on the courts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”