2 Questions about judges.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2 Questions about judges.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm

1. Can you mass mail judges in the same court? Dont they talk to each other and thus this would look bad?

2. How do I personalize a cover letter to a judge? I don't even really know if I address the cover letter to the judge or the law clerk who is the contact to mail about the job.

180orbust

Re: 2 Questions about judges.

Postby 180orbust » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm not sure about item #2, but as far item #1 is concerned, I would not be concerned. Judges do talk to one another, this is true, but they do not talk to one another about the identity of their law clerk applicants. If they do, then they probably aren't busy enough to require the assistance of clerks.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Can you mass mail judges in the same court? Dont they talk to each other and thus this would look bad?

Yes and no.

Anonymous User wrote:2. How do I personalize a cover letter to a judge? I don't even really know if I address the cover letter to the judge or the law clerk who is the contact to mail about the job.

To the Judge. If you don't know him/her or anything relevant they've done that you're interested in or have in common just use a general judicial internship CL.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Can you mass mail judges in the same court? Dont they talk to each other and thus this would look bad?

2. How do I personalize a cover letter to a judge? I don't even really know if I address the cover letter to the judge or the law clerk who is the contact to mail about the job.

The clerks will likely talk to each other. I'm working in a chambers now and the clerks regularly ask other clerks if the same applicant is applying to them. It doesn't look bad at all though. The only reason I can see that htey talk about it is to figure out which judge the applicant would best fit with.

It's really not a problem, and kinda expected.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:26 pm

I just changed the name of the judge on all of my CL's, seemed to do fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:40 pm

OP here, thanks for the replies this was helpful. A lot of the judges in my market are still taking interns so I figure I'd give it a shot. If there is no specified address for these things just address it to the chambers?

Return to “Legal Employment”