Firm deferrals for judicial clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zomginternets

Firm deferrals for judicial clerkships

Postby zomginternets » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 pm

I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread dealing with this (just a few posts here and there).

Are large firms usually willing to hold a job offer for you to allow you to do a judicial clerkship after graduation? Does it depend on how much they like you, or any other factors?

Unitas

Re: Firm deferrals for judicial clerkships

Postby Unitas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:35 pm

zomginternets wrote:I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread dealing with this (just a few posts here and there).

Are large firms usually willing to hold a job offer for you to allow you to do a judicial clerkship after graduation? Does it depend on how much they like you, or any other factors?

Some will, I imagine some won't. Some give bonuses of 25,000 or more and will bring you in after the clerkship as being there for that year, so you'd be a second year associate. All of the firms, several V50 and a mid-law firm, have said they will when I have talked to them about a federal district court clerkskip and even encourage it. Check with the specific firm to know for sure. It may also differ based on what type of clerkship, but that is just conjecture on my part.

Return to “Legal Employment”