Working as an RA during spring semester 1L year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working as an RA during spring semester 1L year

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Have an offer to do some RA work during this semester. Obviously great to get that networking connection as well as the research skills. My question is: anyone done this before care to tell me how difficult it was balancing course load + RA work?

wiseowl

Re: Working as an RA during spring semester 1L year

Postby wiseowl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an offer to do some RA work during this semester. Obviously great to get that networking connection as well as the research skills. My question is: anyone done this before care to tell me how difficult it was balancing course load + RA work?

Suprised this is allowed. "Obviously" much greater to do well in your classes and find a summer job. If you can handle it though, go for it.

Anonymous User

Re: Working as an RA during spring semester 1L year

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:48 pm

I did this in the spring. The commitment wasn't major, under 40 hours total over the course of the work. It was a good contact and a nice resume line item, but I don't think it parted the clouds in the job search or gave me deep insights. The extra beer money was nice, and doing it made me realize how much I didn't love academic work, so I guess that was sort of a plus. The extra work load wasn't great, but the prof iwll be well aware how important 1L grades are and not overload you.

Go for it if you like the prof. That's probably the most important, you may well wind up really close to that person.

Return to “Legal Employment”