Turning down RA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning down RA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm a 1L, and I just got an offer from my Torts professor last semester to be his RA for the summer, my choice of his research projects. This came totally out of the blue; the period for applying for RA positions hasn't even begun yet, and I had never talked to him in the past about being an RA. I did get an A+ in his class.

Anyone ever heard of that happening before? Would it be really bad to turn him down? (I'm not sure I will, but is turning him down even an option?)

vamedic03

Re: Turning down RA positions

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L, and I just got an offer from my Torts professor last semester to be his RA for the summer, my choice of his research projects. This came totally out of the blue; the period for applying for RA positions hasn't even begun yet, and I had never talked to him in the past about being an RA. I did get an A+ in his class.

Anyone ever heard of that happening before? Would it be really bad to turn him down? (I'm not sure I will, but is turning him down even an option?)

Handle it with tact.

(1) If you have any interest in being an RA - then tell him thank you and that this is out of the blue and ask for 1-2 weeks to make your decision.

(2) If you don't want to be an RA at all - then say thank you, tell him how honored you are and tell him about what you're looking to do for the summer.

(3) If you aren't sure whether you want to be an RA this summer, but are interested in working with him - see if you can do some casual part time work with him during next school year.

Return to “Legal Employment”