What do most people do after Big Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AtlasNYC

What do most people do after Big Law?

Postby AtlasNYC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Well this is all hypothetical as I'm still in undergrad but I'm just wondering what are the career routes most people take after graduating from a T-14 and joining Big Law. Say for example, you are 25, fresh out of NYU Law school with $150k in debt. You sign onto a biglaw firm for a starting salary of $160k and slowly start to pay off your debt. Now most people say grads stay at biglaw for only 2-3 years. So what do they tend to do afterwards?

[Posted again for clarity of question asked]

bk1

Re: What do most people do after Big Law?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:53 pm

You do realize you could just edit your old post?

deneuve39

Re: What do most people do after Big Law?

Postby deneuve39 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 pm

AtlasNYC wrote:Well this is all hypothetical as I'm still in undergrad but I'm just wondering what are the career routes most people take after graduating from a T-14 and joining Big Law. Say for example, you are 25, fresh out of NYU Law school with $150k in debt. You sign onto a biglaw firm for a starting salary of $160k and slowly start to pay off your debt. Now most people say grads stay at biglaw for only 2-3 years. So what do they tend to do afterwards?

[Posted again for clarity of question asked]

This question has been asked (and answered) on this forum before, but briefly: in-house counsel at a company or bank; government (DoJ, USAO, SEC, state AGs offices); public interest; moving to the business/investment banking side (more difficult but not impossible). There are probably a lot of paths I'm not immediately thinking of, but these are the most common from top NYC BigLaw firms (well, minus the public interest). Even ITE, head hunters call associates at top firms weekly to try and convince them to jump ship.

Also, 2-3 years is a bit on the low side for leaving, given that after 2 years is when you finally understand what you're doing. My impression was that the attrition starts at 3-4 years and that it gets more difficult to transition out after 6 years, mostly b/c you're overqualified/going to take a bigger salary cut and companies think you're only leaving b/c you were told you're not going to make partner (no idea if there is truth to this).

Return to “Legal Employment”