Closed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AtlasNYC

Closed

Postby AtlasNYC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Thanks for the input. Really helped.
Last edited by AtlasNYC on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Re: Life After BigLaw?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:38 pm

AtlasNYC wrote:I am inspired by this and would one day want to start my own firm as well, but is there a certain time period in which you should do so? Most people I ask that are lawyers in firms keep telling me the same thing which irritates me: you need clients, you need experience, you need connections, making a firm is a lot harder than you think, don't consider it until you are 10-15 yrs out of school. Basically, they keep saying, don't do it til you are like 40.

The truth irritates you?

Your boss is a rare exception to a general trend, good luck trying to end up like that.

AtlasNYC

Postby AtlasNYC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 pm

by saying it irritates me I meant they are basically saying "ok good luck kid" and not offering real advice. I was hoping for more insight here, not just "you need time and experience." I figured that out on my own before talking to these guys. I would like to kno what most people do after biglaw.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:46 pm

AtlasNYC wrote:Well this is all hypothetical as I'm still in undergrad but I'm just wondering what are the career routes most people take after graduating from a T-14 and joining Big Law. Say for example, you are 25, fresh out of NYU Law school with $150k in debt. You sign onto a biglaw firm for a starting salary of $160k and slowly start to pay off your debt. Now most people say grads stay at biglaw for only 2-3 years. So what do they tend to do afterwards? If they want to stay making money that is. I would like to one day have my own law firm. My boss made his own law firm 3 years out of cuny school of law in queens (he was 28). He is now 34, drives a bentley, makes over $1 million a year, and is heavily funds political campaigns (something I have been always interested in, basically he is living the life I would one day want to live). I am inspired by this and would one day want to start my own firm as well, but is there a certain time period in which you should do so? Most people I ask that are lawyers in firms keep telling me the same thing which irritates me: you need clients, you need experience, you need connections, making a firm is a lot harder than you think, don't consider it until you are 10-15 yrs out of school. Basically, they keep saying, don't do it til you are like 40.

So basically what I am asking is, after 2-3 yrs in biglaw, what is next for someone who wants to start his own firm? Should they stay in biglaw (idk if this is possible as I have read people can stay only 2-3 yrs), start their own thing, or do something else.

Also, what do most people do after biglaw in general?

180 poast dood...and lol at a desire to fund political campaigns.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
AtlasNYC wrote:Well this is all hypothetical as I'm still in undergrad but I'm just wondering what are the career routes most people take after graduating from a T-14 and joining Big Law. Say for example, you are 25, fresh out of NYU Law school with $150k in debt. You sign onto a biglaw firm for a starting salary of $160k and slowly start to pay off your debt. Now most people say grads stay at biglaw for only 2-3 years. So what do they tend to do afterwards? If they want to stay making money that is. I would like to one day have my own law firm. My boss made his own law firm 3 years out of cuny school of law in queens (he was 28). He is now 34, drives a bentley, makes over $1 million a year, and is heavily funds political campaigns (something I have been always interested in, basically he is living the life I would one day want to live). I am inspired by this and would one day want to start my own firm as well, but is there a certain time period in which you should do so? Most people I ask that are lawyers in firms keep telling me the same thing which irritates me: you need clients, you need experience, you need connections, making a firm is a lot harder than you think, don't consider it until you are 10-15 yrs out of school. Basically, they keep saying, don't do it til you are like 40.

So basically what I am asking is, after 2-3 yrs in biglaw, what is next for someone who wants to start his own firm? Should they stay in biglaw (idk if this is possible as I have read people can stay only 2-3 yrs), start their own thing, or do something else.

Also, what do most people do after biglaw in general?

180 poast dood...and lol at a desire to fund political campaigns.

+1 :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment”