Boalt 2l top 25% no job prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
truevines

Re: Boalt 2l top 25% no job prospects

Postby truevines » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To respond to above comments, still was well above median after first year, prob would guess in 35-40 range. My point in starting this thread is not to trash Boalt, great school I love it here, but to give 1Ls and 0Ls determined in Biglaw that it is by no means guaranteed even if you do well in school. Anyway eventually one of the interviews I've done (which i would approximate as 60 in person, if you count the multiple people in CBs) will prob pan out. I just wanna make between 80-100 at some firm, I'm too lazy to work really long hours, so maybe I'm ignorant but I think things will turn out ok.

OP, I wish you the best. But you have given too much inaccurate information.

In the title, you said you're top 25% (I thought you went through the OCIP with top 25% grades).
Here, you said you were well above the median, or probably 35-40%.

How did you come up with your class rank?
Rumor has it that: if your GPA > 3, probably your are top 1/3; 3-2.6 middle, <2.6 bottom 1/3. (for 3 semesters of grades).
No one actually knows their class ranks before the second semester of 2L (not until the registrar emails you your rank for the sole purpose of applying for clerkships).

How could you know your 1L class rank? There is not even a valid data point. All the cut-off guesses are based on 3 semesters of grades.

Curious.

I hope you will do well in your job search.
Last edited by truevines on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 pm

OP's story has more holes than his perhaps con law teacher's theory on presidential power...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To respond to above comments, still was well above median after first year, prob would guess in 35-40 range. My point in starting this thread is not to trash Boalt, great school I love it here, but to give 1Ls and 0Ls determined in Biglaw that it is by no means guaranteed even if you do well in school. Anyway eventually one of the interviews I've done (which i would approximate as 60 in person, if you count the multiple people in CBs) will prob pan out. I just wanna make between 80-100 at some firm, I'm too lazy to work really long hours, so maybe I'm ignorant but I think things will turn out ok.

Where the hell did you learn math? 1 callback + 4 interviewers at the callback = 4 in person interviews?

:shock: :arrow: :?

I didn't even catch that. Wow. That's just ... wow.

Actually, I'm guessing he's counting that as 5 in-person interviews. 1 OCI interview + 4 CB interviews = "5 in-person interviews" for one job.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 pm

What? I mean, what? You expect 80-100 thousand dollars and you don't want to work long hours? What planet are you living on? You think the 1st year associates at a medium firm doing corporate transactions don't work long hours? Do you think their deals just get put on hold while they go home for the night? You think their vacations don't get cancelled? You think they don't get called at 5:00pm and given an assignment that is due first thing in the morning?

I'm almost shocked by this because if you believe this is true you are seriously deluded.

I don't even know how to respond to this. I am going to just assume this is a joke and you are just wasting everyone's time.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm

rose711 wrote:

What? I mean, what? You expect 80-100 thousand dollars and you don't want to work long hours? What planet are you living on? You think the 1st year associates at a medium firm doing corporate transactions don't work long hours? Do you think their deals just get put on hold while they go home for the night? You think their vacations don't get cancelled? You think they don't get called at 5:00pm and given an assignment that is due first thing in the morning?

I'm almost shocked by this because if you believe this is true you are seriously deluded.

I don't even know how to respond to this. I am going to just assume this is a joke and you are just wasting everyone's time.

I think it was incredibly misleading for the OP to pretend he was at OCI as top 25% when according to him it was more like top 40%. Then he/she goes on to claim that biglaw is out even if you have "great" grades...which he/she did not have. Then he applied for 1000 positions except not 1000 positions. Then he admits he/she is lazy. :roll: Who are these self-admitted lazy people anyway? Even most lazy people I know are deluded enough to think they're actually quite productive.

OP: wasted everyone's time with evidence that top 40% at a T14 does not guarantee biglaw. Not to mention that we have no idea how his interviews went. "Well, sir..I'd rather not work more than 40 hours/week. That'd be great."

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Plus, he limited himself exclusively to CA. That doesn't seem very smart, even if you have good grades.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Where the hell did you learn math? 1 callback + 4 interviewers at the callback = 4 in person interviews?

:shock: :arrow: :?

I didn't even catch that. Wow. That's just ... wow.

Actually, I'm guessing he's counting that as 5 in-person interviews. 1 OCI interview + 4 CB interviews = "5 in-person interviews" for one job.

OP would call that something like 17+ interviews because of 1 person in the screener plus 4 people in each of the 4 interviews at the callback lol.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:49 am

mrmangs wrote:Plus, he limited himself exclusively to CA. That doesn't seem very smart, even if you have good grades.

Yeah, top 35-40% isn't truly competitive for CA.

Return to “Legal Employment”