Boalt 2l top 25% no job prospects Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
missinglink

Silver

Re: Boalt 2l top 25% no job prospects

Post by missinglink » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
missinglink wrote:
Kohinoor wrote: Bid some eastern markets brotato.
I have a lack of personal ties to any part country outside of California, except perhaps Chicago. From what I've heard, that can be a problem when bidding on firms.
Not for large firms in New York. Out of the major markets, I only had ties to CA, but nobody in New York hounded me on why I bid on NY. At most, interviewers will simply ask "why New York," without really caring about the answer because New Yorkers think everyone wants to be in New York.
That's good to hear. I'll keep that in mind when OCI comes around. Although since I go to a lower-ranked Bay Area school, there may be fewer NY area firms than at schools like Boalt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 pm

OP here, thanks to everyone for your comments. I agree with 0Ls learning a lesson, NY is the only way to go in this job market. Anyways, maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I HAVE to think there's some small firm jobs out there. I was also one of the people who was not in love with the idea of working Biglaw, and at least I'm getting to the second or third round of interview phases rather than have them throw my resume in the trash.

Last, I will add that my title may be a bit misleading as I had a really great semester this semester. To me that's the worst part, that firms judge you based on courses which have NOTHING to do with what you will do (minus perhaps contracts and ungraded LRW). Also, I would think it would be a mistake to think this was an exclusive Boalt problem.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks to everyone for your comments. I agree with 0Ls learning a lesson, NY is the only way to go in this job market. Anyways, maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I HAVE to think there's some small firm jobs out there. I was also one of the people who was not in love with the idea of working Biglaw, and at least I'm getting to the second or third round of interview phases rather than have them throw my resume in the trash.

Last, I will add that my title may be a bit misleading as I had a really great semester this semester. To me that's the worst part, that firms judge you based on courses which have NOTHING to do with what you will do (minus perhaps contracts and ungraded LRW). Also, I would think it would be a mistake to think this was an exclusive Boalt problem.
Hang in there. You'll get what you're looking for. If you wanted BIGLAW, then I'd be much more cautious of giving hopeful statements. However, since you aren't set on BIGLAW, I think you'll do just fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm

New York is definitely easier, but I think we should clarify that this does not mean New York is a safety market for T-14 students with sub-median grades. Barring bizarre work experience (military) or IP background, I think you probably need to be around median at MVPB to get a good shot at NYC biglaw. If you have good grades (top 1/3) or so, you probably have a good shot at DC, too. In my opinion, CA is worse off than DC and probably Chicago. I go to Michigan, and I know quite a few people with top 1/3 grades who landed DC, although, admittedly, the vast majority of people I know are going to New York.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 am

lol i don tknow why i did anonymous but might as well be safe. well im a 0L - and after reading this thread, considering NY is "easier" than CA (and also that I don't care which state I work in as long as I can work and make some money), would it be better to always choose NYU over Berkeley (considering $$$ are equal)? Or Columbia over Stanford even?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:lol i don tknow why i did anonymous but might as well be safe. well im a 0L - and after reading this thread, considering NY is "easier" than CA (and also that I don't care which state I work in as long as I can work and make some money), would it be better to always choose NYU over Berkeley (considering $$$ are equal)? Or Columbia over Stanford even?
I would hesitate to make any decisions based on NY being "easier" than CA. There are a lot of factors that go into your choice of law school. Employment prospects several years down the road should be just one factor among many.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:38 am

If you want biglaw, I'd take NYU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:40 am

I'm starting to think Boalt is just a TTT in disguise... I work as an assistant at a shitlaw firm (foreclosure mill) with a lawyer who graduated from Berkeley, and was on a secondary journal.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting to think Boalt is just a TTT in disguise... I work as an assistant at a shitlaw firm (foreclosure mill) with a lawyer who graduated from Berkeley, and was on a secondary journal.
LOL I'm starting to think TLS is full of retards..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:lol i don tknow why i did anonymous but might as well be safe. well im a 0L - and after reading this thread, considering NY is "easier" than CA (and also that I don't care which state I work in as long as I can work and make some money), would it be better to always choose NYU over Berkeley (considering $$$ are equal)? Or Columbia over Stanford even?
NYU v. Boalt: Impossible to say until the next USNWR rankings come out. Columbia is always ranked lower than Stanford.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting to think Boalt is just a TTT in disguise... I work as an assistant at a shitlaw firm (foreclosure mill) with a lawyer who graduated from Berkeley, and was on a secondary journal.
I've always maintained that Harvard is a TTT degree mill. I know a lawyer from there who is unemployed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:28 am

Kohinoor wrote:
I've always maintained that Harvard is a TTT degree mill. I know a lawyer from there who is unemployed.
I should have known better to try and sneak a little anecdotal evidence past the TLS crowd

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
I should have known better to try and sneak a little anecdotal evidence past the TLS crowd
what you said was only evidence of your own stupidity

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 am

So just to clarify OP, it sounds like you are currently around top 25% but that your application materials had largely been completed prior to these grades? I guess I'm still finding it hard to believe you aren't getting anything if those are the quality of grades you are applying with from BOALT. It does sound like you're acknowleding the title line isn't really accurate though (maybe you could change it?), and also that perhaps you are being very particular about where you are applying. I have read about even Harvard students getting shut out of single markets if that is all they went for, so if that is what you are doing I wouldn't be surprised that this applies to BOALT as well.

Things are bad, but I wouldn't want to see people get a worse impression about things than they already legitimately are. If you are truly top 25% at BOALT and can't even get a small or medium firm job then that is REALLY bad IMO. So you really applied to 1000 firms? :shock: Are you just getting contact info for every firm in sight and sending out generic covers and resumes? I guess that is basically how firm apps are often done, but just curious if the 1000 was a figure of speech, and if not, what approach you are taking in sending out such a massive amount of inquiries. Are you getting any interviews at least?

Also, as some other posters have mentioned, there's still time. Good luck.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 am

lol hit quote instead of edit sry

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:31 am

Anybody at Berkeley can be on a secondary journal. You could be on 9 of them if you wanted to. Your point?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:05 am

It's a rare moment when I am thankful for poor performance on the LSAT, but this is one.

Perhaps you should try Little Rock; the situation is much brighter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:48 am

Kohinoor wrote:
NYU v. Boalt: Impossible to say until the next USNWR rankings come out. Columbia is always ranked lower than Stanford.
...Are you serious? What the hell does USNWR have to do with this? Or I am I just oblivious to a sarcastic flame?

To guy choosing: If between Boalt & NYU with all else equal (preferences of location, atmosphere, scholarship, cost) and the only thing you care about is a high paying job anywhere... in this economy: NYU. Hands down. Any nonsense change in USNWR has absolutely nothing to do with this. And Boalt will not pass NYU regardless.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks to everyone for your comments. I agree with 0Ls learning a lesson, NY is the only way to go in this job market. Anyways, maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I HAVE to think there's some small firm jobs out there. I was also one of the people who was not in love with the idea of working Biglaw, and at least I'm getting to the second or third round of interview phases rather than have them throw my resume in the trash.

So does this mean that you are top 25% the first semester of 2L but not top 25% 1L? Your quote above seems to imply that you were at/below median 1L and then got great grades 2L. Because your post is all kinds of misleading if that's the case.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Sinra wrote:So does this mean that you are top 25% the first semester of 2L but not top 25% 1L? Your quote above seems to imply that you were at/below median 1L and then got great grades 2L. Because your post is all kinds of misleading if that's the case.
This is a very good point. Most people assume "top 25% no job prospects" to mean you went through OCI/fall hiring as a top 25% student.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 pm

mst wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
...Are you serious? What the hell does USNWR have to do with this? Or I am I just oblivious to a sarcastic flame?

To guy choosing: If between Boalt & NYU with all else equal (preferences of location, atmosphere, scholarship, cost) and the only thing you care about is a high paying job anywhere... in this economy: NYU. Hands down. Any nonsense change in USNWR has absolutely nothing to do with this. And Boalt will not pass NYU regardless.
When is Kohinoor ever serious?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 pm

mst wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

+1.

Also, dude, Great 'tar. Just terrific.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm

To respond to above comments, still was well above median after first year, prob would guess in 35-40 range. My point in starting this thread is not to trash Boalt, great school I love it here, but to give 1Ls and 0Ls determined in Biglaw that it is by no means guaranteed even if you do well in school. Anyway eventually one of the interviews I've done (which i would approximate as 60 in person, if you count the multiple people in CBs) will prob pan out. I just wanna make between 80-100 at some firm, I'm too lazy to work really long hours, so maybe I'm ignorant but I think things will turn out ok.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To respond to above comments, still was well above median after first year, prob would guess in 35-40 range. My point in starting this thread is not to trash Boalt, great school I love it here, but to give 1Ls and 0Ls determined in Biglaw that it is by no means guaranteed even if you do well in school. Anyway eventually one of the interviews I've done (which i would approximate as 60 in person, if you count the multiple people in CBs) will prob pan out. I just wanna make between 80-100 at some firm, I'm too lazy to work really long hours, so maybe I'm ignorant but I think things will turn out ok.

Where the hell did you learn math? 1 callback + 4 interviewers at the callback = 4 in person interviews?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm a bit confused. So when you said you literally applied to over 1000 positions, did you mean literally or figuratively?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”