Beards and the Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Beards and the Law

Postby nigelfrost » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm

So, I'm lined up with a summer associate position at an AM 100 firm in DC. I worked there this past summer (my 1L summer) as an unpaid intern and got a general feel for firm culture. Thus, I kinda think I already know the answer to this, but I'd like some outside opinions, especially if people have had similar experiences.

I've been growing a beard since November and have become attached to the mongoose on my face. But I also know that firms prize a conservative appearance. Should I plan on shaving this beast in a few months? Or should I show up the first day with it and risk someone saying something? Should I not worry about it? Should I stop posting random questions on TLS and keep working on my note like I should be doing?

Does anyone have experience with this?

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby Shooter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Your beard sounds awesome (it looks like a mongoose?)!!! Don't shave it.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 pm

nigelfrost wrote:Should I stop posting random questions on TLS and keep working on my note like I should be doing?

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby nigelfrost » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Shooter wrote:Your beard sounds awesome (it looks like a mongoose?)!!! Don't shave it.


It could kill a cobra.

Sup Kid wrote:
nigelfrost wrote:Should I stop posting random questions on TLS and keep working on my note like I should be doing?


*sigh* But I don't want to anymore! I'm tired of writing it......*whine whine*

User avatar
jdstl
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby jdstl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 pm

I tend to think our generation (Gen Y, I guess) is much more beard friendly than previous generations. That said, Baby Boomers still run law firms.

User avatar
jdstl
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby jdstl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 pm

I tend to think our generation (Gen Y, I guess) is much more beard friendly than previous generations. That said, Baby Boomers still run law firms.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:18 pm

nigelfrost wrote:So, I'm lined up with a summer associate position at an AM 100 firm in DC. I worked there this past summer (my 1L summer) as an unpaid intern and got a general feel for firm culture. Thus, I kinda think I already know the answer to this, but I'd like some outside opinions, especially if people have had similar experiences.

I've been growing a beard since November and have become attached to the mongoose on my face. But I also know that firms prize a conservative appearance. Should I plan on shaving this beast in a few months? Or should I show up the first day with it and risk someone saying something? Should I not worry about it? Should I stop posting random questions on TLS and keep working on my note like I should be doing?

Does anyone have experience with this?


pictures or it didn't happen.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Thread Title wrote:Beards and the Law


Oh I thought this was just some awesome class you were taking...

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby krad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 pm

POST PICS! <3 beards! You'll probably have to trim it up fancy or get rid of it completely, though. I agree with the poster above me on the generational thing, for sure. SO has to shave the beard for appearance's sake and he's in surgery 95% of the time :(

User avatar
LSATWIZ
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby LSATWIZ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 pm

There is a story in Jewish tradition about a young man in Talmudic times who was appointed chief rabbi. Although he was in his 20s, he could not shave yet and this was an era where age was considered something to be respected. He was supposed to address the other great Rabbis at the end of the week, and was greatly scared of whether they'd respect him because of his inability to even grow a beard, which signified his lack of experience.

He prayed, and prayed, and sure enough, by the end of the week he grew a very long beard.

The point of this is that beards, if well kept, command respect and sometimes hint wisdom. The catch is you don't want to look like a stoner.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 pm

1) Shave it
2) Perform well at SA
3) get offered Associate position
4) Perform well for 3 years
5) Grow beard - because its distinguished
6) Get voted into partnership
7) Profit


thread/

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby nigelfrost » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Thread Title wrote:Beards and the Law


Oh I thought this was just some awesome class you were taking...


Can you imagine? Looking at the 3L seminars offered these days, I don't doubt there is SOME school out there that has this for a topic.


So, no pics . . . for the obvious anonymity reasons. It's tough to get a pic of a beard without a face. But I like this:
LSATWIZ wrote: The point of this is that beards, if well kept, command respect and sometimes hint wisdom. The catch is you don't want to look like a stoner.


Maybe I'll set some kind of precedent. Pretty soon, there will be bearded lawyers everywhere in DC!

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby krad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote:1) Shave it
2) Perform well at SA
3) get offered Associate position
4) Perform well for 3 years
5) Grow beard - because its distinguished
6) Get voted into partnership
7) Profit


thread/


<3

User avatar
Bluben
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby Bluben » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 pm

I shaved my beard last night. :(

Im working (as an engineer) in an engineering firm with a very old school mentality and its understood around here that if you want to get your name out there and have senior management know who you are, you cannot have a beard. Again it is a generational thing, but good luck changing a whole generation's mentality on something like that.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Beards and the Law

Postby clintonius » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Thread Title wrote:Beards and the Law


Oh I thought this was just some awesome class you were taking...

It would be based around Learned Hand. His eyebrows count as a beard (LinkRemoved).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.