JAG Summer Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JAG Summer Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:32 am

Army JAG takes 25 1Ls/year nationwide. I take it that makes it pretty competitive. Any thoughts on these?

http://www.goarmy.com/jag/summer-intern-program.html

RMstratosphere

Re: JAG Summer Internships

Postby RMstratosphere » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:39 am

If you haven't seen it already the following is very helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543&start=1525

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:57 am

I got an interview for a JAG summer internship, but I'm gay (and very out on my resume). Does anyone think a) my interview was a mistake by the screening process, b) my interview is not going to end well, or c) DADT doesn't actually affect the JAG part of the military? and of course, there's D) something else.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview for a JAG summer internship, but I'm gay (and very out on my resume). Does anyone think a) my interview was a mistake by the screening process, b) my interview is not going to end well, or c) DADT doesn't actually affect the JAG part of the military? and of course, there's D) something else.

They may be acting as if all the steps required by the recent DADT repeal act will be complete by summer.

Also, I don't know what you mean by being "very out" on your resume. If you mean working with or being part of various gay rights group, that is not outing yourself. I'm straight and have LGBT organizations on one set of my resumes, and this summer I will likely by working for an organization that specializes in LBGT military issues. So unless you actually list being gay on your resume, it could be that they don't want to assume anything.

Lastly, even when DADT was in effect, gays could serve in the military. They just couldn't do so openly once they began service.

EDIT: Wanted to add that when DADT was in effect, it applied to all servicemembers including the JAG officers. I don't know if it ever applied to the JAG interns though. Some of the JAG officers in the Military Law thread would know better. But it is a moot point now that the law has been repealed (pending some ministerial matters).

Return to “Legal Employment”