Minrority Job Fairs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Thirteen

Re: Minrority Job Fairs

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:34 pm

I figured that I would bump this thread, since the registration dates are getting close for a couple of the fairs. I plan on attending the Sunbelt Minority Recruitment Program in Dallas, the Southeastern Minority Job Fair in Marietta (GA), and might attend the Rocky Mountain Diversity Legal Career Fair in Denver.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Thirteen wrote:I figured that I would bump this thread, since the registration dates are getting close for a couple of the fairs. I plan on attending the Sunbelt Minority Recruitment Program in Dallas, the Southeastern Minority Job Fair in Marietta (GA), and might attend the Rocky Mountain Diversity Legal Career Fair in Denver.

I'm planning on SEMJF. Hopefully someone will take a chance on a half-Asian.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:02 pm

rad law wrote:
Thirteen wrote:I figured that I would bump this thread, since the registration dates are getting close for a couple of the fairs. I plan on attending the Sunbelt Minority Recruitment Program in Dallas, the Southeastern Minority Job Fair in Marietta (GA), and might attend the Rocky Mountain Diversity Legal Career Fair in Denver.

I hope someone takes a chance on a 1/16 Native American.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Is there anywhere to find an up-to-date list of all the minority job fairs? Or can people add the ones they know of.

I know of:

Cook County Minority Job Fair (Aug. 12th)
St Louis Diversity Job Fair (Aug. 19th)
Dupont Minority Job Fair (Aug. 6th)

If others could add to this list, that'd be great. I'd never heard of the ones just mentioned above me before and really have no idea where to find this sort of list. The NALP site hasn't updated for this year yet.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Thirteen wrote:
rad law wrote:

If you have the numbers, I don't see why they wouldn't. They get a check in their diversity box and a dude with numbers they would probably have taken anyway.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Thirteen wrote:
rad law wrote:

Accidentally make it a resume line on purpose.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:52 pm

rad law wrote:

Got my 1L summer job at a firm through a diversity program in the south, and im half asian. So take that FWIW.

Ill be bidding on firms at the SEMJF as well, but with my grades (top 1/3, T1), I think I need to bid smart (not vault firms) to hopefully end up with callbacks and offers.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 pm

moandersen wrote:
rad law wrote:

Got my 1L summer job at a firm through a diversity program in the south, and im half asian. So take that FWIW.

Ill be bidding on firms at the SEMJF as well, but with my grades (top 1/3, T1), I think I need to bid smart (not vault firms) to hopefully end up with callbacks and offers.

Damn should have applied for some diversity positions.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:59 pm

just curious, do 3Ls actually get hired from like the vault diversity job fair?

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:45 am

Can anyone tell me if it's worth flying out to these diversity fairs? I have a couple that I'm interested, but that would require me to fly and miss several days of work this summer. Is it worth it to pay a plane ticket and miss work to go to these?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 am

dusk2k2 wrote:Can anyone tell me if it's worth flying out to these diversity fairs? I have a couple that I'm interested, but that would require me to fly and miss several days of work this summer. Is it worth it to pay a plane ticket and miss work to go to these?

If getting a job is worth it to you, I'd say it's worth the flight. I had to fly to two fairs, and drove 7 hours to one. Each time I had to miss work at my summer firm to go. I got offers out of all of them. The good thing is you'll be able to decide how much the trip will be worth to you before you go because you'll know how many interviews you have. If you've got 1 interview, it may not make much sense. If you have five interviews, you're probably a fool not to go... (you also probably don't have a choice because some of these things force you to go if you have two or more interviews)

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
dusk2k2 wrote:Can anyone tell me if it's worth flying out to these diversity fairs? I have a couple that I'm interested, but that would require me to fly and miss several days of work this summer. Is it worth it to pay a plane ticket and miss work to go to these?

If getting a job is worth it to you, I'd say it's worth the flight. I had to fly to two fairs, and drove 7 hours to one. Each time I had to miss work at my summer firm to go. I got offers out of all of them. The good thing is you'll be able to decide how much the trip will be worth to you before you go because you'll know how many interviews you have. If you've got 1 interview, it may not make much sense. If you have five interviews, you're probably a fool not to go... (you also probably don't have a choice because some of these things force you to go if you have two or more interviews)

Thanks. You just made me feel better about missing work to attend the fair in Georgia.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 am

I was surprised to see that D.C. and NYC firms come to these. Maybe I oughta take a look at the SEMJF after all...

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 pm

So the SEMJF is limited ONLY to those participating schools?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:So the SEMJF is limited ONLY to those participating schools?

Yes.

Return to “Legal Employment”