BigLaw paralegaling experiences?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
strawboy1230

BigLaw paralegaling experiences?

Postby strawboy1230 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm

So I know most of the posts on here are about jobs once in law school or after law school, but I was just wondering what people's experiences were at paralegal positions at NYC/DC firms before law school. I know names of firms are usually excluded, so if you could PM with any of your experiences, I'd greatly appreciated.

Thanks

strawboy1230

Re: BigLaw paralegaling experiences?

Postby strawboy1230 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm

bump.

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Really? No one on here has paralegaled at a big law firm?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:01 pm

I did and found it to be a rewarding experience but I worked with many who did not. You need to realize going in that you will not find the work that you are doing to be mentally stimulating. When I joined my old firm I had no idea about what practicing attorneys did, much like most of the people at my current law school do not. It is NOT a glorious position but it will teach you pretty quickly whether or not you want to be a lawyer.

Ultimately my take is that you get what you put into paralegal jobs. If you go to work everyday for the paycheck alone, you will not enjoy the experience. If you take the time to get to know the attorneys you work with, the networking part will pay off. I developed some great connections who have helped me tremendously with law school and job applications.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:03 pm

bceagles182 wrote:It is NOT a glorious position but it will teach you pretty quickly whether or not you want to be a lawyer.

Probably the #1 reason to do legal work before lol school

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:18 pm

bceagles182 wrote:I did and found it to be a rewarding experience but I worked with many who did not. You need to realize going in that you will not find the work that you are doing to be mentally stimulating. When I joined my old firm I had no idea about what practicing attorneys did, much like most of the people at my current law school do not. It is NOT a glorious position but it will teach you pretty quickly whether or not you want to be a lawyer.

Ultimately my take is that you get what you put into paralegal jobs. If you go to work everyday for the paycheck alone, you will not enjoy the experience. If you take the time to get to know the attorneys you work with, the networking part will pay off. I developed some great connections who have helped me tremendously with law school and job applications.

+1

Was going to PM you, but this is basically everything I would have said. Definitely do it, though, as I worked with many lawyers who should have realized that law wasn't for them before they entered law school. Don't make the same mistake. Also great for networking IF you're willing to work [really, really] hard and make the most of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”