4.0 First Semester- 1L Summer Jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

4.0 First Semester- 1L Summer Jobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 pm

I got a 4.0 this semester for a T30 school and was wondering if there is a chance I would still be able to get a job at a big firm for this summer? Thanks!

minuit

Re: 4.0 First Semester- 1L Summer Jobs?

Postby minuit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:31 pm

wow congrats! i think the more important question here is: can you tell me your study habits? :mrgreen:

sorry i have no useful advice for a biglaw gig, but i would say it is a possibility!

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 pm

You probably have already, but if not check with your career services office first. At my school, we have some firms that start to accept apps specifically from our school(T30 also) from February 1-12, basically after everyone definitely has all their grades. Also some NALP firms state on their NALP form that 1Ls should apply after they have their grades (I remember Phelps Dunbar was one of them, from my own search).

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm actually only looking in the NYC market, but thanks for the info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:59 pm

As a 2L who used to be a 1L with a 4.0 first semester GPA from a T14 law school, the unfortunate answer is "probably not." Almost every law firm which is willing to hire 1Ls in major markets* tends to hire based on diversity, strong relevant work experience - especially in the field of patent law - or connections to the firm / clients. Your 4.0 puts you in a better position than somebody with a 3.0, but it's quite rare for firms to make strictly (grades based) meritorious hiring decisions for 1L firm positions.

Of course, it's definitely still worth applying. And you might get interviews which will be very useful even if you don't get the job, and (perhaps more importantly) demonstrated interest as a 1L can be quite helpful when applying for 2L SAs.

*This advice does not hold for all firms in major markets, nor does it hold for all major markets. Texas is a big exception, as are firms in places like Alabama. Smaller firms in major markets may also be an exception, since if they like to hire graduates they probably struggle to pull 2Ls away from mega-firms. Still, the best way to leverage stellar first semester grades is to get a firm gig in a smaller legal market. Those firms have an incentive to snap up people who would otherwise likely not give them a second look during 2L OCI. It's still not common, but it's substantially more common than a 1L pulling down a V100 gig in a major market simply because they killed fall semester of 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I agree with the above poster that even with a 4.0 it can be tough. I had that last year and applied to every firm in two markets (one big, one secondary) and a few random other firms. I got two callbacks, and for both was one of about 10 1Ls who got callbacks for one or two slots at each firm.

I didn't get the jobs, but it was completely worth the experience, since when I went on callbacks for OCI this fall I already had experience with it and could figure out what to do differently. Definitely give it a shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I agree with the above poster that even with a 4.0 it can be tough. I had that last year and applied to every firm in two markets (one big, one secondary) and a few random other firms. I got two callbacks, and for both was one of about 10 1Ls who got callbacks for one or two slots at each firm.

I didn't get the jobs, but it was completely worth the experience, since when I went on callbacks for OCI this fall I already had experience with it and could figure out what to do differently. Definitely give it a shot.

Ah that is interesting; thank you for sharing. Damn. I, too, have a 4.0 and am at a T10 school. I have a callback next week at a major market V100 and lots of people have said "oh, just don't fuck it up and you'll get the job." But I guess it is not that easy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I agree with the above poster that even with a 4.0 it can be tough. I had that last year and applied to every firm in two markets (one big, one secondary) and a few random other firms. I got two callbacks, and for both was one of about 10 1Ls who got callbacks for one or two slots at each firm.

Ah that is interesting; thank you for sharing. Damn. I, too, have a 4.0 and am at a T10 school. I have a callback next week at a major market V100 and lots of people have said "oh, just don't fuck it up and you'll get the job." But I guess it is not that easy.

Update [from same Anon poster quoted here]. Just got another callback-style interview for a major market V20 office.

Return to “Legal Employment”