Meeting with a Former Partner

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Meeting with a Former Partner

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

So I have a pretty specialized field of law that I would like to go into, and through a former colleague got the contact information for one of the leading minds in said field. He's now retired after a couple decades as a big law partner and lives on the other side of the country, but I emailed him asking if we could chat over the phone or by email about how he got into the field and any tips he might have for getting experience in the field. He responded that he'd be in town next month and would be happy to meet in person.

What would be an appropriate meeting place? Coffee? Lunch? Should I offer to pick up the tab? What should I wear? Usually I'm pretty good about this kind of stuff, but this guy literally knows everyone in the field so I want to make a good first impression.

Anonymous Loser

Re: Meeting with a Former Partner

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:15 pm

1. Coffee

2. Token effort to pick up the tab, but graciously acquiesce when wealthy former partner offers to pay.

3. Business casual.

Try to avoid giving the impression that you are the sort of person who has to seek advice on commonplace social interactions through an anonymous online forum.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Lunch/coffee is fine (I've done both...person usually insisted on one or the other). Never hurts to wear business attire--casual or formal at your discretion. Offer to pay, but graciously accept if they insist on paying.

You'll want to be adept at having lunch/coffee meetings both in practice and going forward for interviews, etc... GL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:Try to avoid giving the impression that you are the sort of person who has to seek advice on commonplace social interactions through an anonymous online forum.

HA! Thanks for that. I knew it was was pathetic of me to do this, but I just wanted some sort of indication I was on the right track. This guy seems incredibly laid back, so I figured I'd be fine. Thanks again!

Big Shrimpin wrote:Lunch/coffee is fine (I've done both...person usually insisted on one or the other). Never hurts to wear business attire--casual or formal at your discretion. Offer to pay, but graciously accept if they insist on paying.

You'll want to be adept at having lunch/coffee meetings both in practice and going forward for interviews, etc... GL.

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”