How Big a Disadvantage is an RA Position for 1L Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
random5483

How Big a Disadvantage is an RA Position for 1L Summer?

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Still in the process of looking for that 1L job. I know people generally say a big firm/Fed Clerkship is better than an RA job.

But how does an RA job compare to state clerkships/similar local positions?

I do not have a summer job lined up yet. I am just considering whether or not to send an RA application to a professor I had last semester who is looking for an RA. I am fairly confident I will get some job due to my strong grades. Should I even bother sending an RA application or are they going to kill my chances come OCI.

Note: I plan on applying for a transfer after the end of the year. If I maintain my grades I should have a strong chance of getting into a few T10 schools. Should this effect my decision?

Cavalier

Re: How Big a Disadvantage is an RA Position for 1L Summer?

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 pm

It's not a disadvantage. Many people do it, and it's a great way to get to know a professor well.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Cavalier wrote:It's not a disadvantage. Many people do it, and it's a great way to get to know a professor well.

Thanks.

Is it a decent choice even if I plan to transfer?

Crim

Postby Crim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I have no basis of comparison, but I found my RA experience to be hugely beneficial for interviews. The work I was doing gave me a modicum of expertise in a particular area of law, and given the opportunity to talk about it, I was able to demonstrate an ability to talk about the law intelligently.

Then again, certain profs are just looking for an RA to do bitchwork, which would not be so helpful. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Considering you probably need a letter of rec from a professor for the transfer application, I think an RA position would be great for you. It won't hurt your chances during OCI so long as you do quality legal-related work and can speak intelligently about it.

Return to “Legal Employment”