T14 grads who miss BIGLAW: what are your plans?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ClayDavis

T14 grads who miss BIGLAW: what are your plans?

Postby ClayDavis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:09 am

This doesn't seem to be discussed enough on here. ITE, only about half the class at MVPDN (optomistically) gets BIGLAW; maybe 2/3 at CCN. I want to hear about 3Ls and recent grads who struck out at OCI/got no-offered/didn't want BIGLAW to begin with, and what they're doing now. As I understand it, PI and govt. gigs can be just as competitive as BIGLAW, so that would seem to leave few options for those in the bottom half of their class.

This is anonymous because I am personally considering going to one of MVP on a 2/3-tuition scholarship, but am nevertheless afraid of a lack of options if I strike out at OCI. With little debt, some of the pressure is off, but I don't want to be left without the option of being a lawyer at all.

Burgstaller04

Re: T14 grads who miss BIGLAW: what are your plans?

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 am

I'd love to hear some responses to this

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:16 am

big law -> fed gov -> IP shit law ->USPTO -> post office -> lose weight and let the army make a man out of me at OCS.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:16 am

Debtors' Prison

--ImageRemoved--

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:big law -> fed gov -> IP shit law ->USPTO -> post office -> lose weight and let the army make a man out of me at OCS.

Sorry, it just needs to happen at some point...

I would also add hang up shingle or go to very small (i.e. 2 attorneys) before post office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:big law -> fed gov -> IP shit law ->USPTO -> post office -> lose weight and let the army make a man out of me at OCS.

Ok like this for example. I know it's absurdly hard to get prestigious DOJ shit or whatever out of LS, but what about other, lower-caliber Fed Gov stuff? With the pension and hours and everything, I'd almost rather do that instead of Biglaw, but I have no gauge of how difficult it is to get as, e.g., a median student at MVP. Anyone?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is anonymous because I am personally considering going to one of MVP on a 2/3-tuition scholarship, but am nevertheless afraid of a lack of options if I strike out at OCI. With little debt, some of the pressure is off, but I don't want to be left without the option of being a lawyer at all.

This is not a reason to be anonymous. Lots of people talk about being at a range of schools with a scholarship without identifying themselves.

Also, this sounds more like a "choosing a law school" thing. 0Ls asking where/whether to attend don't belong here.

Return to “Legal Employment”