nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby drbarry987 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Step 1: Wait until mid June for the Brooks Bros + Nordstrom Semi Annual Sales
Step 2: Cop a BB navy Fitz suit +black AE park aves
Step 3: Style on classmates with 3.5s and Jos a bank

??????

Enjoy V20

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 pm

so suits over grades any day?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby kaiser » Sun May 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so suits over grades any day?


Lol he was just ribbing on the overly-pervasive attitude on here that what brand suit you wear or the material of your shoe sole somehow determines whether or not you will get job offers

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 12:35 am

so still waiting on two grades but likely will end up around a 3.0...screwed? do i have a shot at big law out of oci still?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 2:51 pm

curious as to the 3.0 as well?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L at NYU. Going into EIW in 2010, I had what I thought were median grades (but from the posts on here, I now think it might be below median. What is median at NYU, anyway? If 1/3 get 3.66 or above, and like 40-45% get 3 I figured it was a little below a 3.3 but I guess not?)

Anyhow, I had around 10 CBs (got offers at all of them). Highest Vault rank was around V15-V20. The grades OCI gives you are seriously misleading. OCI says the firm I went to has GPA req of 3.33 BUT I DID NOT HAVE THAT AFTER 1L.

Anyhow, I have pretty good WE and good interview skills, yes. But seriously - bid somewhat conservatively (put lots and lots of V20s and V30s - really all of them - and go down from there) and even if you have ONLY Bs and B+s you will still likely get something. Those were my grades and I settled on a nice firm in the V20s that I am happy with!


Is top third at NYU 3.66 or above? I thought it was somewhere in the 3.4's or 3.5 at the most...

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L at NYU. Going into EIW in 2010, I had what I thought were median grades (but from the posts on here, I now think it might be below median. What is median at NYU, anyway? If 1/3 get 3.66 or above, and like 40-45% get 3 I figured it was a little below a 3.3 but I guess not?)

Anyhow, I had around 10 CBs (got offers at all of them). Highest Vault rank was around V15-V20. The grades OCI gives you are seriously misleading. OCI says the firm I went to has GPA req of 3.33 BUT I DID NOT HAVE THAT AFTER 1L.

Anyhow, I have pretty good WE and good interview skills, yes. But seriously - bid somewhat conservatively (put lots and lots of V20s and V30s - really all of them - and go down from there) and even if you have ONLY Bs and B+s you will still likely get something. Those were my grades and I settled on a nice firm in the V20s that I am happy with!


Is top third at NYU 3.66 or above? I thought it was somewhere in the 3.4's or 3.5 at the most...

Top third is probably between 3.4 and 3.45. Idk why anon said 3.66. Median should be about 3.30 I think.

It should also be mentioned that OCS gives firm gpa AVERAGES not requirements. Therefore a bunch of students will be lower than that figure.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby booboo » Thu May 24, 2012 5:31 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L at NYU. Going into EIW in 2010, I had what I thought were median grades (but from the posts on here, I now think it might be below median. What is median at NYU, anyway? If 1/3 get 3.66 or above, and like 40-45% get 3 I figured it was a little below a 3.3 but I guess not?)

Anyhow, I had around 10 CBs (got offers at all of them). Highest Vault rank was around V15-V20. The grades OCI gives you are seriously misleading. OCI says the firm I went to has GPA req of 3.33 BUT I DID NOT HAVE THAT AFTER 1L.

Anyhow, I have pretty good WE and good interview skills, yes. But seriously - bid somewhat conservatively (put lots and lots of V20s and V30s - really all of them - and go down from there) and even if you have ONLY Bs and B+s you will still likely get something. Those were my grades and I settled on a nice firm in the V20s that I am happy with!


Is top third at NYU 3.66 or above? I thought it was somewhere in the 3.4's or 3.5 at the most...

Top third is probably between 3.4 and 3.45. Idk why anon said 3.66. Median should be about 3.30 I think.

It should also be mentioned that OCS gives firm gpa AVERAGES not requirements. Therefore a bunch of students will be lower than that figure.


If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the cutoff for top 1/3?

drbarry987 wrote:Step 1: Wait until mid June for the Brooks Bros + Nordstrom Semi Annual Sales
Step 2: Cop a BB navy Fitz suit +black AE park aves
Step 3: Style on classmates with 3.5s and Jos a bank

??????

Enjoy V20


I know this was a joke post, but are those shoes nice?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 pm

booboo wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the cutoff for top 1/3?

Rough estimate using two data points.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby sophie316 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:46 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L at NYU. Going into EIW in 2010, I had what I thought were median grades (but from the posts on here, I now think it might be below median. What is median at NYU, anyway? If 1/3 get 3.66 or above, and like 40-45% get 3 I figured it was a little below a 3.3 but I guess not?)

Anyhow, I had around 10 CBs (got offers at all of them). Highest Vault rank was around V15-V20. The grades OCI gives you are seriously misleading. OCI says the firm I went to has GPA req of 3.33 BUT I DID NOT HAVE THAT AFTER 1L.

Anyhow, I have pretty good WE and good interview skills, yes. But seriously - bid somewhat conservatively (put lots and lots of V20s and V30s - really all of them - and go down from there) and even if you have ONLY Bs and B+s you will still likely get something. Those were my grades and I settled on a nice firm in the V20s that I am happy with!


Is top third at NYU 3.66 or above? I thought it was somewhere in the 3.4's or 3.5 at the most...

Top third is probably between 3.4 and 3.45. Idk why anon said 3.66. Median should be about 3.30 I think.

It should also be mentioned that OCS gives firm gpa AVERAGES not requirements. Therefore a bunch of students will be lower than that figure.


Yeah after 1L 3.67 is top 10%. Top third is supposedly just below 3.5. This is based on what career services told others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

so what's bottom of the class? sub-3.0? where would a 3.0 put you or a 3.15? i've heard of a rank calculator but i can't seem to find it

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Detrox » Thu May 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so what's bottom of the class? sub-3.0? where would a 3.0 put you or a 3.15? i've heard of a rank calculator but i can't seem to find it


viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157992

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 pm

For what it's worth, you really need to use a log normal distribution, which that calculator doesn't. But the error bars would be big enough that you might as well go with what's generally said. 3.67's around top 10%. Sub-3.0 is probably bottom 10%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 pm

anyone with sub-3.0 or 3.0 get big law at nyu?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone with sub-3.0 or 3.0 get big law at nyu?

It definitely happens, but it won't be easy. You're going to have to interview well, WE would be nice, and definitely mass-mail and hustle your ass off.

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: nyu 1L grades / 2L OCI

Postby drbarry987 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 am

drbarry987 wrote:Step 1: Wait until mid June for the Brooks Bros + Nordstrom Semi Annual Sales
Step 2: Cop a BB navy Fitz suit +black AE park aves
Step 3: Style on classmates with 3.5s and Jos a bank

??????

Enjoy V20


I know this was a joke post, but are those shoes nice?[/quote]

Allen Edmonds were the Inauguration Day footwear choice for Presidents Reagan, H.W. Bush, Clinton and G.W. Bush.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.