NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 am

Ended up with 2 A's and an A- putting me at 3.91.

1) Any NYUers here with an idea where, percentage-wise, I have landed in the class?
2) I know how grade-conscious/uneasy about hiring 1Ls most big NYC firms are. Look into the crystal ball and tell me if I can expect anything ITE or if I should just focus on PILC and not get my mass mailing hopes up.

Also - anyone know what the GPA cut-off is for LR, if any? Thanks a bunch guys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:25 am

Anecdotally, last year a 3.86+ or so would have been good for LR. 3.9+ I think was good enough for Pomeroy. No idea about 1L SAs, but the only ones I really heard of were either not in NYC or Ann Bryce scholars.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 am

1. Give me your grades
2. Ummm
3. ???
4. Profit!!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:03 am

Wouldn't count on getting a 1L position unless you're a URM or have something else going for you. I knew a couple people who had better grades than you during the first semester who weren't able to get a 1L SA position. It's worth shooting for, though.

If you can maintain or improve that GPA, you should grade on to LR. Make sure you really want to do it, though. It's a LOT of work (NYU LR in particular has gained some well-deserved notoriety for editor workload), and it doesn't seem to help much in the context of firm recruiting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ended up with 2 A's and an A- putting me at 3.91.

1) Any NYUers here with an idea where, percentage-wise, I have landed in the class?
2) I know how grade-conscious/uneasy about hiring 1Ls most big NYC firms are. Look into the crystal ball and tell me if I can expect anything ITE or if I should just focus on PILC and not get my mass mailing hopes up.

Also - anyone know what the GPA cut-off is for LR, if any? Thanks a bunch guys.


I have similar grades at NYU (3.98, A+, A, A-) and will be pretty much ignoring 1L SA positions. At this point, they've almost all been given out, and I've already gotten notice from a lot of places I applied to in December that they won't be hiring anyone else (and I figure most of the rest will just never contact me). Would have been different if they'd gotten grades to us a week or two earlier, but them's the breaks. I'm just going for the big names at the PILC Fair. Wait for Fall OCI and those sweet V10 2L SAs.

3.91 is Pomeroy-level (top 15 students at graduation), so you're pretty much set. IIRC the Pomeroy cut-off last year was something in the 3.8x range. It was posted on here at some point.

3.86 was the LR cut-off last year for the mixed positions, as others posted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 pm

OP here. Thanks for the candid replies - it's as I thought. I've peppered my home market with a ton of mass mailings and I have at least tried a few big NY firms. We'll see if any bite.

Also: to the guy or gal with the 3.98 - nice fucking work!

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby hopefullaw27 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:03 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:04 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ended up with 2 A's and an A- putting me at 3.91.

1) Any NYUers here with an idea where, percentage-wise, I have landed in the class?
2) I know how grade-conscious/uneasy about hiring 1Ls most big NYC firms are. Look into the crystal ball and tell me if I can expect anything ITE or if I should just focus on PILC and not get my mass mailing hopes up.

Also - anyone know what the GPA cut-off is for LR, if any? Thanks a bunch guys.


How'd you calculate that to be a 3.91? I thought with the respective weights and with an A- being a 3.67 that the range for those grades would be 3.87-3.89...maybe i'm doing something wrong..


You are correct. It's a 3.89. Whoops.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ended up with 2 A's and an A- putting me at 3.91.

1) Any NYUers here with an idea where, percentage-wise, I have landed in the class?
2) I know how grade-conscious/uneasy about hiring 1Ls most big NYC firms are. Look into the crystal ball and tell me if I can expect anything ITE or if I should just focus on PILC and not get my mass mailing hopes up.

Also - anyone know what the GPA cut-off is for LR, if any? Thanks a bunch guys.


How'd you calculate that to be a 3.91? I thought with the respective weights and with an A- being a 3.67 that the range for those grades would be 3.87-3.89...maybe i'm doing something wrong..


You are correct. It's a 3.89. Whoops.

Wow that is brutal that you have such a high GPA and cannot land a 1L SA. I know 1L summers are rare, but is the fact that you cant land a 1L SA because of the economy or a function of the recruiting process?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow that is brutal that you have such a high GPA and cannot land a 1L SA. I know 1L summers are rare, but is the fact that you cant land a 1L SA because of the economy or a function of the recruiting process?


OP here. My guess is that it's a combination of both, plus the fact that New York is (most) everyone's top choice, so it is quite flooded with talented 2Ls who stamp out 1L chances. This is probably why smaller markets in the Midwest and the South are more friendly in terms of 1L hiring.

Side note: I actually did receive an offer from a V20 firm after interviewing a couple of weeks ago. Unicorns can be caught.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 pm

congratulations on your offer!

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:38 pm

(At least) 2 employed 1Ls @ NYU. Moral of the story: GO TO NYU, NOT COLUMBIA OR CHICAGO.

User avatar
facetious
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby facetious » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:46 pm

congrats on the offer! that is awesome news. was this from dec 1 mass mailing? when did you interview? I have a 3.79 (A, A, B+) after first semester and only landed one firm interview. definitely not getting my hopes up at this point and focusing on PILC/gov't.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby thecilent » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:12 am

Bumping this thread to see if any rising 2Ls at nyu want to share what happened to people they knew for this summer? Really few sa positions given to 1Ls?

jlxbos
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:53 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby jlxbos » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:48 am

thecilent wrote:Bumping this thread to see if any rising 2Ls at nyu want to share what happened to people they knew for this summer? Really few sa positions given to 1Ls?


i'm only aware of 4 people who even tried to get sa positions, but all of them happened to get one. of course the vast majority ended up in public interest, though i also know a couple that got paid in-house gigs. 1L sa positions are never going to plentiful, but it doesn't look impossible, either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:55 am

1L SA spots are very rare. Many firms limit by creating a 1-2 "diversity" spots. CCN student here, most of the 1Ls I know who got 1L SA spots got the aforementioned diversity positions. A couple did not.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:20 pm

I know more non-diversity 1L SAs than I thought I would. Can think of 4 off the top of my head.

That being said, they're rare. If you want to do one make sure you all your crap lined up before Dec 1, and send it all on Dec 1. Don't list to CSO, which will tell you to wait until after finals.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby glitched » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I know more non-diversity 1L SAs than I thought I would. Can think of 4 off the top of my head.

That being said, they're rare. If you want to do one make sure you all your crap lined up before Dec 1, and send it all on Dec 1. Don't list to CSO, which will tell you to wait until after finals.

but you don't have grades on Dec 1, right? So do employers that like you simply put you on hold until grades go out? how does this all work?


(also... i'm kind of sad that a 3.89 was advised not to apply for 1L SA. That is seriously brutal)

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: NYU grade distribution/chances at 1L SA position

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 pm

glitched wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I know more non-diversity 1L SAs than I thought I would. Can think of 4 off the top of my head.

That being said, they're rare. If you want to do one make sure you all your crap lined up before Dec 1, and send it all on Dec 1. Don't list to CSO, which will tell you to wait until after finals.

but you don't have grades on Dec 1, right? So do employers that like you simply put you on hold until grades go out? how does this all work?


(also... i'm kind of sad that a 3.89 was advised not to apply for 1L SA. That is seriously brutal)


Depends on what market you're applying in and what school you're going to. In NYC they'll interview you pre-grades but wait to give you an offer until after they see your grades.* In Texas (where I work) I received multiple offers before my grades came out, though students from Texas schools didn't receive offers until they submitted their grades.

*My knowledge of the NYC market, even though I go to school there, is based only on hearsay.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.