How to hold an offer while waiting for others?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

How to hold an offer while waiting for others?

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 am

2 quick questions here (1L applying for 1L summer).

1. Lets say someone calls me to congratulate me on getting a spot as their intern. I am still waiting on other offers and this is not my #1 choice. How do I let them know that I am still interested but will have to wait before accepting without it sounding like their are my backup?

2. Rank these choices for 1L summer: DA's office in an area I wouldn't mind working in as my career, State Supreme Court Judge, Federal District Judge. Not sure which judge looks better.

Anonymous User

Re: How to hold an offer while waiting for others?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:37 am

I recently had this problem. In the market for jobs I really wanted and my safety offered me over the phone during my interview.

Here's what I did:

1. Asked how long the offer would stay open, since it was early in the process (response: 6 days). I asked if I could have two weekends to think it over, which they refused.

2. Thought long and hard about taking the offer that I had on the table, since it was obvious I applied there for a reason.

3. Turned the job down. In the long run, I think the question you need to ask yourself is "In two months, would I be more upset having no job, but having given my top choices a shot, or would I be more upset having this job locked up, but wondering whether I could've gotten something better."

Lots of 1Ls will (rightfully) believe the latter. Some (like me) will try and hold out for the former.

Grades played a role for me. I said that if I were at median, I'd take the job. I ended up top 10% at a T10, so decided to stick it out.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 am

Working for a Federal District Court Judge is typically more prestigious than working for a State Supreme Court Justice absent special circumstances. Both are more prestigious than working for a DA's office.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Working for a Federal District Court Judge is typically more prestigious than working for a State Supreme Court Justice absent special circumstances. Both are more prestigious than working for a DA's office.

ttttttttttttttttttttttcr.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:22 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Working for a Federal District Court Judge is typically more prestigious than working for a State Supreme Court Justice absent special circumstances. Both are more prestigious than working for a DA's office.

From what I've heard, working in a DA's office usually gives one better experience and you can usually use some of your work product as a writing sample, whereas judicial interns rarely get the opportunity to develop a writing sample during their time in chambers.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 am

thickfreakness wrote:

From what I've heard, working in a DA's office usually gives one better experience and you can usually use some of your work product as a writing sample, whereas judicial interns rarely get the opportunity to develop a writing sample during their time in chambers.

What are you talking about? The Court usually just requires you to redact names on memos you write. . . I worked on a district court w/ over 25 judges, all my intern friends had similar experiences. DA's may be a better/worse experience but you don't not get a writing sample from working for a judge.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 am

If you're really into criminal law then maybe go with the DA, but if not then obviously federal > state

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 am

Who is the one calling and offering you the job? Is it a judge? Because you kinda have to say yes to them.

If it is the DA's office, just tell them you would like time to consider your options and ask them when they need to hear back by. They ain't paying you, and unless it is in Manhattan or somewhere ridiculous like that, they probably are not in a position to turn down free help because you didn't leap immediately to answer their offer.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:32 pm

I don't mean to hijack your thread, barbell. (thx for your response in another thread, btw)

Our deadline to submit apps for Spring OCI and for judicial internships is only a day apart. I'm already well aware that if a judge offers you a spot, you can't turn it down. I have no doubt that I'd enjoy interning for a Fed. Dist. judge - one professor recommended that I do it - but it is obviously unpaid. We have something like 3 small firms interviewing 1Ls, and one large firm doing resume collect :roll: .

My question is this: would any of you think it's worth it to take your chances with interviewing at a small firm ($) and forego the chance to intern at the court? If I decide to apply for the court positions, I will essentially eliminate doing anything else for the summer.

Thx for the help.

Return to “Legal Employment”