What classes should I take (2L)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whatshoulditake

What classes should I take (2L)?

Postby whatshoulditake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:08 pm

I am working for a biglaw firm this summer (told them I was undecided about practice areas). Not sure if my firm checks 2L transcripts, but for the employer, is it more important to maintain a high GPA than to take hard classes?

I have already taken Corporations, Tax, International Law, and another financial law course. Am taking Bankruptcy, not sure what else to take. I liked tax, but I have heard that the upper div tax classes are REALLY hard, so it's discouraging me from taking them. I am saving Evidence for 3L year. Is Jurisdiction necessary or not really? Hard class though. Is it worth it to take it 2L year or should I wait until 3L year? What about Mergers & Acquisitions? Employment law?

Any ideas? Should I be more concerned about maintaining my GPA?

Sup Kid

Re: What classes should I take (2L)?

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Unless you bomb a class, nothing you do or don't do 2L year will play a significant role for your firm. It is much more important to do quality work over the summer, and show that you can work well with others in your eventual practice area. However, why are you not taking evidence? That is the ONE class almost every recommends you take 2L year...

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 am

Why evidence for 3L rather than 2L?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 am

I'm not the OP, but at my school evidence was offered directly opposite about 3 other classes both semesters 2L year that I needed to take for my practice area. Plus it is exceptionally gunner heavy and the exam in the fall bordered on ridiculous.

I think I'd rather have an offer in hand 3L year (God willing) and take it closer to the bar then get slaughtered 2L year.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:23 am

wiseowl wrote:I'm not the OP, but at my school evidence was offered directly opposite about 3 other classes both semesters 2L year that I needed to take for my practice area. Plus it is exceptionally gunner heavy and the exam in the fall bordered on ridiculous.

I think I'd rather have an offer in hand 3L year (God willing) and take it closer to the bar then get slaughtered 2L year.

Ditto. BTW, I'm so glad that I don't have litigation/clerkship aspirations. On top of evidence, I'd have to take fed courts which is stacked with some of the smartest (and/or vicious) gunners.

Good call on advanced taxes, OP. I was told to stay away from corporate and partnership taxation unless I tried the work over the summer and loved it.

Why not take Securities Reg? It's a real pain, but I hear it's useful for SA.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any ideas?

1) Don't alt.

2) If you made a new account just to ask this question, posting anon is redundant.

Return to “Legal Employment”