USAO: Does this mean I got the posiion or am i wrong?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO: Does this mean I got the posiion or am i wrong?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 am

I was just emailed by a USAO that I mailed my application materials to about a week ago. We have not had an interview or any form of contact for that matter prior to this email, however the email (from an HR clerk) requests that i fill out the 5 or so background check forms and mail them back to the office.

The email says: "In order to complete your application to our summer law clerk program, please complete the attached documents."

Bottom Line: Do they really do this for every single applicant or does this mean that I've been offered a provisional offer or something? Do they really do the background check for every single applicant? Isn't it costly/takes a really long time? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: USAO: Does this mean I got the posiion or am i wrong?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:02 am

Yes, they do background checks for all applicants. This does not mean you have the job.

Why do they do it? You will be working for the government and they don't want to hire national security threats. Also, extra layers of bureaucracy are what the government is known for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 pm

I did USAO Atlanta last year and they didn't do background checks until they gave out offers. They also gave out offers without interviews or any other contact (but they did wait for grades, IIRC).

Anyway, it sounds like since they didn't say "Congratulations" or anything in the email that they do background checks for everyone at the USAO you applied to, but I wanted to let you know just in case.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:22 pm

My guess is that you will get an interview if you pass the basic background check. I have a hard time imagining that they do it for every applicant, but that's possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 pm

I used to work for the G, and there is absolutely no way they would be doing a single scope background check on all applicants. It is just too expensive and time consuming. They may be having every applicant fill out the paperwork though, that way they can either; 1) do a credit check on all applicants and already have the rest of the paperwork there for those they do want to hire, or 2) do a once over on the paperwork for applicants that have no chance of passing the background check and then proceed with selections and doing full background checks.

That being said, it would be highly unorthodox for them to get background info on every applicant unless there are only a handful of them. I'm 80% sure you have the offer pending a successful background check. The G is very careful about telling people they have offers before on board dates are given (after background is passed). In fact, even when they do say someone has an offer, they say it's pending successful background check and other factors including budgetary issues.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 pm

I want to know what these papers look like. Is it just a small questionnaire or is it an actual SF-86?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I want to know what these papers look like. Is it just a small questionnaire or is it an actual SF-86?

SF-86 + 4 other forms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:01 pm

You got it, pending a pass on the check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You got it, pending a pass on the check.

Really? Even without an interview? I mean, this isn't some podunk USAO office that would be willing to take any HYS 1L -- it's located in one of the 10 largest cities in the country (not SDNY/EDNY/CDCA though).

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I worked at a major city USAO for my 1L summer, and didnt have to do the paperwork for the background check until after getting an offer. My office did do interviews once grades came out, but I have heard of other offices that made decisions just based on resume/grades.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:59 am

it's hard for me to imagine a situation in which every applicant is required to fill out an sf-86 so I'd tentatively say you got it depending on the results of your background check.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:37 pm

The USAO I applied to said they don't do background checks until they interview and offer. It would seem to be a waste of time to background check everyone that applies.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:it's hard for me to imagine a situation in which every applicant is required to fill out an sf-86 so I'd tentatively say you got it depending on the results of your background check.

I, on the other hand, find it very easy to imagine a situation in which the federal government requires applicants to fill out voluminous paperwork on the off chance that it might be needed at some future date.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:it's hard for me to imagine a situation in which every applicant is required to fill out an sf-86 so I'd tentatively say you got it depending on the results of your background check.

I, on the other hand, find it very easy to imagine a situation in which the federal government requires applicants to fill out voluminous paperwork on the off chance that it might be needed at some future date.

I've applied numerous federal jobs and worked for federal agencies and have never been asked to fill out an sf-86 before being offered a job. Nor has anyone else I knew. Take that for what it's worth.

Return to “Legal Employment”