Fired from a summer job...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273571
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Fired from a summer job...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 am

Regular poster here posting anon for privacy reasons...

When I was in college, I held a summer internship at a country club. Long story short: I was fired from my job for drinking on the job with some co-workers. I would have been in the clear, but I guess I said some mean stuff to a girl I didn't like and didn't get along with, and she told them that I was drinking. It was a pretty amicable termination (my boss really liked me and even said I could list her as a reference), but it was a termination nonetheless. I was really stupid and immature to have gotten drunk on the job, and I have held a few jobs since then without issue.

How big a deal will this be for looking for summer gigs and beyond? Anybody have experience with this kind of thing? I know on some summer apps I've looked at, it asks "Have you ever been fired, terminated, asked to resign, etc.?" I feel like an idiot checking "yes" and saying I have been, and I'm worried how this might affect me this summer and down the road. This situation happened 2 years ago, and while I know it wasn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, I'm worried that it might raise a red flag with my job hunt.

Notes about me: I'm a 1L at a T25, top 15-20% grades, no other blemishes on my record (criminal or employment)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273571
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Anybody have any thoughts? Am I worrying too much? Is it a legit concern? Anybody have experience dealing with a previous firing during their job hunt?

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby zomginternets » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:38 pm

If you don't have any other blemishes, I think employers will see it for what it is--being stupid in college. I'm sure your potential employers had a youthful indiscretion or two when they were in college.. you certainly wouldn't be the first person to have a drink on the job. As long as it's not part of a (recorded) pattern of conduct, I think most firms are willing to look past it. My instinct says that judges might not be as forgiving, but I'm just assuming that based on the fact that they always seem really uptight each time I've see them adjudicating law and motion matters.. lol.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

I was also fired from my country club gig, but mine was cause i hated waiting on rich people and not getting tips, so i didnt do much. I don't plan on even disclosing the fact that I worked there, so i'm checking no to every question that ask me about being fired, unless its on a federal form, because they have tax return docs, but the DOJ asks about in within a year, so i dont think ud have to worry about that.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:I was also fired from my country club gig, but mine was cause i hated waiting on rich people and not getting tips, so i didnt do much. I don't plan on even disclosing the fact that I worked there, so i'm checking no to every question that ask me about being fired, unless its on a federal form, because they have tax return docs, but the DOJ asks about in within a year, so i dont think ud have to worry about that.



Yep.. There is no potential C&F problem here when you apply to your state's bar... none at all.. proceed as planned.

In case the sarcasm wasn't obvious for those playing at home.... This is a fucking horrible idea.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273571
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:I was also fired from my country club gig, but mine was cause i hated waiting on rich people and not getting tips, so i didnt do much. I don't plan on even disclosing the fact that I worked there, so i'm checking no to every question that ask me about being fired, unless its on a federal form, because they have tax return docs, but the DOJ asks about in within a year, so i dont think ud have to worry about that.



Yep.. There is no potential C&F problem here when you apply to your state's bar... none at all.. proceed as planned.

In case the sarcasm wasn't obvious for those playing at home.... This is a fucking horrible idea.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to lie. I won't bring it up if it isn't asked about, but I will definitely disclose when they ask.

zomg, I definitely hope you're right. I think it would be even more of a non-issue if I was older and had more space between myself and the incident, but I am right out of college. I have had two serving jobs since then (and both went great) and I had an internship at a Fortune 500 last summer, so it hasn't been a problem for other jobs. I just know that law jobs are so competitive and the competition takes place at the margins, and I'm worried that it might serve as a tie-breaker or put me in the no pile.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:I was also fired from my country club gig, but mine was cause i hated waiting on rich people and not getting tips, so i didnt do much. I don't plan on even disclosing the fact that I worked there, so i'm checking no to every question that ask me about being fired, unless its on a federal form, because they have tax return docs, but the DOJ asks about in within a year, so i dont think ud have to worry about that.



Yep.. There is no potential C&F problem here when you apply to your state's bar... none at all.. proceed as planned.

In case the sarcasm wasn't obvious for those playing at home.... This is a fucking horrible idea.


who is talking about character and fitness? If a firm wants my employment history, there's no reason for me to tell them I worked for a country club, let alone that I got fired. Did you not read the rest of my post? the fed has your tax returns, so I wouldn't tell someone to lie about it to them, or to the bar (which no one is talking about). But why disclose a job you got fired from when you have no reason too? Especially a country club gig from college. A firm can't do anything to you, just don't say you were employed there, end of story. Great sarcasm by the way, I wouldn't have been able to tell cause you are so good at sounding serious on the internet.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby zomginternets » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:zomg, I definitely hope you're right. I think it would be even more of a non-issue if I was older and had more space between myself and the incident, but I am right out of college. I have had two serving jobs since then (and both went great) and I had an internship at a Fortune 500 last summer, so it hasn't been a problem for other jobs. I just know that law jobs are so competitive and the competition takes place at the margins, and I'm worried that it might serve as a tie-breaker or put me in the no pile.


That the employer is still willing to give you a reference also speaks volumes.

As long as you otherwise show you are serious, I really wouldn't worry too much. If they dinged you for something like that, the work environment there probably sucks and you shouldn't want to work there anyway.

dru617
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby dru617 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:05 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:who is talking about character and fitness? If a firm wants my employment history, there's no reason for me to tell them I worked for a country club, let alone that I got fired. Did you not read the rest of my post? the fed has your tax returns, so I wouldn't tell someone to lie about it to them, or to the bar (which no one is talking about). But why disclose a job you got fired from when you have no reason too? Especially a country club gig from college. A firm can't do anything to you, just don't say you were employed there, end of story. Great sarcasm by the way, I wouldn't have been able to tell cause you are so good at sounding serious on the internet.


Umm, have you not heard of background checks? Any employer can get your full and unabridged employment history, so long as you sign a background check release and provide your basic personal identification info. Not just the feds.

User avatar
JPrezy87
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby JPrezy87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:I was also fired from my country club gig, but mine was cause i hated waiting on rich people and not getting tips, so i didnt do much. I don't plan on even disclosing the fact that I worked there, so i'm checking no to every question that ask me about being fired, unless its on a federal form, because they have tax return docs, but the DOJ asks about in within a year, so i dont think ud have to worry about that.



Yep.. There is no potential C&F problem here when you apply to your state's bar... none at all.. proceed as planned.

In case the sarcasm wasn't obvious for those playing at home.... This is a fucking horrible idea.


who is talking about character and fitness? If a firm wants my employment history, there's no reason for me to tell them I worked for a country club, let alone that I got fired. Did you not read the rest of my post? the fed has your tax returns, so I wouldn't tell someone to lie about it to them, or to the bar (which no one is talking about). But why disclose a job you got fired from when you have no reason too? Especially a country club gig from college. A firm can't do anything to you, just don't say you were employed there, end of story. Great sarcasm by the way, I wouldn't have been able to tell cause you are so good at sounding serious on the internet.


aye speaking of tax returns...you think the state bar has access to those as well?! not to be a worry wart...just making sure my ass is covered ;).

User avatar
JPrezy87
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby JPrezy87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 pm

dru617 wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:who is talking about character and fitness? If a firm wants my employment history, there's no reason for me to tell them I worked for a country club, let alone that I got fired. Did you not read the rest of my post? the fed has your tax returns, so I wouldn't tell someone to lie about it to them, or to the bar (which no one is talking about). But why disclose a job you got fired from when you have no reason too? Especially a country club gig from college. A firm can't do anything to you, just don't say you were employed there, end of story. Great sarcasm by the way, I wouldn't have been able to tell cause you are so good at sounding serious on the internet.


Umm, have you not heard of background checks? Any employer can get your full and unabridged employment history, so long as you sign a background check release and provide your basic personal identification info. Not just the feds.


um no they can't----there's no big a%$ national database of every employer you've every worked for or every job you've ever had---the only people who can find out your full employment history on paper is the federal government---because they have access to w-2 statements from all your employers, as well as the department of social security and department of labor- and even then they won't dig that deep unless you require some type of high level security clearance for your job. (which the job of lawyer does not--unless you're a lawyer for the feds :) ).

dru617
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby dru617 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
dru617 wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:who is talking about character and fitness? If a firm wants my employment history, there's no reason for me to tell them I worked for a country club, let alone that I got fired. Did you not read the rest of my post? the fed has your tax returns, so I wouldn't tell someone to lie about it to them, or to the bar (which no one is talking about). But why disclose a job you got fired from when you have no reason too? Especially a country club gig from college. A firm can't do anything to you, just don't say you were employed there, end of story. Great sarcasm by the way, I wouldn't have been able to tell cause you are so good at sounding serious on the internet.


Umm, have you not heard of background checks? Any employer can get your full and unabridged employment history, so long as you sign a background check release and provide your basic personal identification info. Not just the feds.


um no they can't----there's no big a%$ national database of every employer you've every worked for or every job you've ever had---the only people who can find out your full employment history on paper is the federal government---because they have access to w-2 statements from all your employers, as well as the department of social security and department of labor- and even then they won't dig that deep unless you require some type of high level security clearance for your job. (which the job of lawyer does not--unless you're a lawyer for the feds :) ).


Ummm, actually yes. employment histories are listed on consumer credit reports, which are generally utilized as part of employer background checks. the report (and it could come from any of the big three credit reporting agencies) may not be fully accurate or complete, but that's your risk to take.

User avatar
JPrezy87
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby JPrezy87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:04 pm

dru617 wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
dru617 wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:who is talking about character and fitness? If a firm wants my employment history, there's no reason for me to tell them I worked for a country club, let alone that I got fired. Did you not read the rest of my post? the fed has your tax returns, so I wouldn't tell someone to lie about it to them, or to the bar (which no one is talking about). But why disclose a job you got fired from when you have no reason too? Especially a country club gig from college. A firm can't do anything to you, just don't say you were employed there, end of story. Great sarcasm by the way, I wouldn't have been able to tell cause you are so good at sounding serious on the internet.


Umm, have you not heard of background checks? Any employer can get your full and unabridged employment history, so long as you sign a background check release and provide your basic personal identification info. Not just the feds.


um no they can't----there's no big a%$ national database of every employer you've every worked for or every job you've ever had---the only people who can find out your full employment history on paper is the federal government---because they have access to w-2 statements from all your employers, as well as the department of social security and department of labor- and even then they won't dig that deep unless you require some type of high level security clearance for your job. (which the job of lawyer does not--unless you're a lawyer for the feds :) ).


Ummm, actually yes. employment histories are listed on consumer credit reports, which are generally utilized as part of employer background checks. the report (and it could come from any of the big three credit reporting agencies) may not be fully accurate or complete, but that's your risk to take.


um...no...wrong again...the only way it could get on your credit report is if you report it to one of the three bureaus..or list the job as your source of income when filling out a mortgage or loan application, or when applying for credit :).

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby zomginternets » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm

This thread has become lol.

dru617
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby dru617 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:26 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
um...no...wrong again...the only way it could get on your credit report is if you report it to one of the three bureaus..or list the job as your source of income when filling out a mortgage or loan application, or when applying for credit :).


Well, as someone who has been in a hiring position (for a major corp), i can tell you that employers do regularly utilize consumer credit reports to obtain employment histories of applicants. As to where the info is derived from, it is not only from the sources you claim.

From the FTC website - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... cre03.shtm

Q. What type of information do credit reporting companies collect and sell?
A. Credit reporting companies collect and sell four basic types of information:

* Identification and employment information: Your name, birth date, Social Security number, employer, and spouse's name are noted routinely. The credit reporting company also may provide information about your employment history, home ownership, income, and previous address, if a creditor asks.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Employers dont see your application to law school. The only thing they see about your employment history is your resume, which you control. Even if they can somehow see background check etc about you working at this place, they wont even think about it.

You are not required to put every job you've ever had on your resume. And no legal employer is going to give a crap about some summer job at a country club. Come on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273571
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:29 pm

As much as I'm sure you're both riveted by this engaging debate, it really is irrelevant to me because I plan to be honest in all my applications and interviews. I'm more interested in knowing how this may or may not affect me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273571
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Employers dont see your application to law school. The only thing they see about your employment history is your resume, which you control. Even if they can somehow see background check etc about you working at this place, they wont even think about it.

You are not required to put every job you've ever had on your resume. And no legal employer is going to give a crap about some summer job at a country club. Come on.

Did you read the OP or anything said ITT? I said many employers ask you up front in applications (I've already seen the question 3-4 times), or they ask in an interview. I will obviously not put the job on my resume, and I wouldn't put it on there anyways because who gives a shit about some summer serving job?. But I'm not going to lie about it if asked. What I really want to know is whether it will be an issue.

And FWIW, I know a girl who worked for the gov't who just got fired two months into the job for lying about whether she had ever been fired, so this kind of thing does happen.

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby 2LLLL » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm

In 20+ screening interviews and 5 call-backs during OCI 2010 (firms and federal government), no one asked me if I had ever been fired from a job. In three interviews during my 1L job search, no one asked me if I had ever been fired from a job.

The only place where I could see this coming up in the employment context is on a federal government background check. Assuming that you have no other incidents on your record I doubt that this will disqualify you considering that it happened years in the past. In any event, many employers don't even provide information about ex-employees beyond job title and dates of service because they don't want to open themselves to liability if they inadvertantly end up causing someone to be rejected. I know for a fact that my father's small business adopted this policy after they were sued by an ex-employee who they gave a poor review of.

I guess that a background check could bring up the fact that you WORKED at the country club, but I don't know that it would list that you were terminated. Even if it did I doubt that you have anything to worry about.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:31 pm

2LLLL wrote:In 20+ screening interviews and 5 call-backs during OCI 2010 (firms and federal government), no one asked me if I had ever been fired from a job. In three interviews during my 1L job search, no one asked me if I had ever been fired from a job.

The only place where I could see this coming up in the employment context is on a federal government background check.


Agree 100%. TITCR

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Jeez, you can tell most people here haven't had a real office job before.

For every job I have ever held after college, (and according to my friends, also for associate gigs) we were required to sign a release for the employer to conduct (1) a background check, and (2) a pull of our credit reports. This is standard practice in any industry where you give financial or legal advice, or deal even obliquely with securities (as you do at most firms). My firm for this upcoming summer has already told us we will have to fill out a release.

Just because you were not asked during OCI does not mean they will not give you the form to fill out and sign on your first day or a couple of days before you start. You WILL have to do this. Even my part-time school year internship requires a background check.

To the OP - don't bring it up, but if asked, tell the truth and give your ex-boss as a contact so they can verify. It seems so trivial I can't imagine anyone getting upset over it.

User avatar
JPrezy87
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby JPrezy87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:11 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Jeez, you can tell most people here haven't had a real office job before.

For every job I have ever held after college, (and according to my friends, also for associate gigs) we were required to sign a release for the employer to conduct (1) a background check, and (2) a pull of our credit reports. This is standard practice in any industry where you give financial or legal advice, or deal even obliquely with securities (as you do at most firms). My firm for this upcoming summer has already told us we will have to fill out a release.

Just because you were not asked during OCI does not mean they will not give you the form to fill out and sign on your first day or a couple of days before you start. You WILL have to do this. Even my part-time school year internship requires a background check.

To the OP - don't bring it up, but if asked, tell the truth and give your ex-boss as a contact so they can verify. It seems so trivial I can't imagine anyone getting upset over it.


yea--im sure future employers will be more than willing to overlook youthful indiscretions...but...he can still in theory get away with not listing the job on his resume because THERE'S NO national database of every employer you've ever worked for..and even when corporations get consumer credit reports the only way they'll find out about the job is...like i said before...if he listed it as a source of income when applying for a loan or line of credit :).

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm

reasonable_man was correct. Feel free to hide whatever you want in a job app, if that's a risk you feel comfortable taking. As someone else mentioned, they don't get to look at your law school app. But C&F does. And if you lie there and are found out or if your bar app leaves off a job that was on your LS app or puts one there that was missing before, you are in for a world of hurt.

I really don't see why anyone would risk being f'ing disbarred over embarrassment over getting fired as a waiter (I know OP has said they will fully disclose, so good). Much better to do it that way than have it show up later.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273571
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:29 pm

I was recently fired from a job for stealing a pair of shoes from the store. I'm planning on attending law school in the fall and I was wondering if this blemish on my record would cause me to not get accepted. The store didn't press charges and I didn't get in any trouble with the police. Any help regarding what I should expect or how to go about telling schools about this would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Fired from a summer job...

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was recently fired from a job for stealing a pair of shoes from the store. I'm planning on attending law school in the fall and I was wondering if this blemish on my record would cause me to not get accepted. The store didn't press charges and I didn't get in any trouble with the police. Any help regarding what I should expect or how to go about telling schools about this would be greatly appreciated.


I'm not so sure you have to tell schools about conduct that did not lead to charges or even an arrest

It's not like they ask you to list every dishonest thing you've ever done in your life

However, I think the Bar application asks about jobs you got fired from, so it may be an issue later but something that can be overcome so long as you quit doing stupid shit. I don't remember law schools asking about getting fired.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.